Box Score |
Wisconsin Postgame Notes
Wisconsin vs. Penn State
NCAA Championship Match
Dec. 21, 2013
Key Arena - Seattle
Junior, OH, Krista Vansant, Washington
Freshman, S, Lauren Carlini, Wisconsin
Junior, OH, Deme Morales, Wisconsin
Senior, MH, Katie Slay, Penn State
Senior, RS, Ariel Scott, Penn State
Senior, OH, Deja McClendon, Penn State
Junior, S, Micha Hancock, Penn State
Most Outstanding Player: Micha Hancock, Penn State
• Saturday's attendance of 14,779 is the fifth-largest National Semifinal or Final crowd.
• Penn State wins its 6th NCAA Volleyball title in its 9th appearance (6-3 record), the first since 2010. It is the Nittany Lions national-best 25th consecutive victory.
• PSU coach Russ Rose wins his 6th NCAA title, NCAA-best 15th National Semifinal or Final match and improved his all-time best winning pct. to .750 (15-5).
• Penn State's victory is the Nittany Lions' 5th in-a-row over Wisconsin. PSU is 3-0 all-time in the NCAA Tournament vs the Badgers.
• PSU improves to 6-0 this season on a neutral court and hand Wisconsin its first at a neutral site (9-1).
• PSU is now 29-1 in matches with a 1-0 lead and 24-0 in matches with a 2-0 lead this season.
• By falling behind 0-1 after the first set, Wisconsin trailed for the first time in a match this postseason.
• Penn State's .350 hitting pct. in set one was its single-set best vs Wisconsin this year.
• Wisconsin's third set hitting pct. (.108) was its lowest in a winning set since Oct. 11. The Badgers hit .062 in a 25-21 fourth set victory over Ohio State. Wisconsin won the match 3-2.
• PSU senior Katie Slay finished the National Semis and Final with a record .552 hitting pct. (22 kills, 1 error, 38 total attempts) during the 25-point rally scoring error with a min. 3.33 attempts per set (Klay: 5.4 per set). PSU senior Ariel Scott is now 6th in the era with a .362 hitting pct. (31/6/69).
• The match's combined 19 service errors were the most in a National Final since 2009 (Penn State def. Texas 3-2. PSU 14, Texas 8).
• Penn State junior Micha Hancock finished the National Championship with six aces in seven sets, the most all-time in the National Semifinal and Final round since 25-point rally scoring was adopted in 2008.
• PSU senior Ariel Scott finished the match with 21 kills, surpassing the 1,400-mark for her career.
• The match was the first between Big Ten opponents in NCAA Championship history. (Note: Wisconsin & Nebraska, which are both now in the Big Ten, met in the 2000 Final. Nebraska was in the Big 12 at the time).
• Since the 25-point format started being used in 2008, four of the five Final matches have had at least one extra-points set. (2009 did not: Penn St. def. Texas 22-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-21, 15-13).
• Tonight's match was the first where a team held a 2-0 lead and didn't win in straight sets since 2009 (Penn State def. Texas 22-25, 20-25, 25-23, 25-21, 15-13). It is the first since 2007 that the eventual winner won the first two sets, but didn't sweep (Penn State def. Stanford 30-25, 30-26, 23-30, 19-30, 15-8).