Box Score |
Wisconsin vs. Texas Post-match Notes
KeyArena - Seattle, Wash.
Dec. 19, 2013
• Wisconsin improved to 9-0 on neutral courts this season.
• Wisconsin improved to 10-7 against top 25 opponents this season.
• The victory was Wisconsin's first over Texas in school history (3-1).
• The win was Wisconsin's third this season against a top 10 team
• The match was Wisconsin's 17th versus a ranked opponent, the most since 1998 (also 17). Wisconsin will play an 18th ranked team in the National Final regardless if it is No. 2 Penn State or No. 5 Washington.
• Wisconsin's first set hitting percentage (.167) was its lowest in a winning set since Oct. 11. The Badgers hit .062 in a 25-21 fourth set victory over Ohio State. Wisconsin won the match 3-2.
• Wisconsin's 2-0 set lead was its first vs a Top 25 opponent since leading 2-0 vs then-No. 20 Purdue on Sept. 27. (The Badgers won 25-23, 25-17, 25-23).
• Wisconsin kept Texas under 20 points in each of the first two sets. It was the second time the Badgers prevented a top 25 opponent from scoring fewer than 20 points in consecutive sets (Wisconsin beat then-No. 5 Michigan State 20-25, 25-19, 25-16, 25-18 on Oct. 20.
• Wisconsin coach Kelly Sheffield is the 33rd coach in NCAA history to bring his team to a National Semifinal. He is the 23rd to reach a National Final.
• Wisconsin's 25-19 first set victory over Texas was the closest National Semifinal opening set since Oregon beat Penn State 25-21 in 2012.
• The match was the first match since Sept. 20 where Wisconsin won the first two sets, but didn't win in straight sets (Wisc. def. NC-State 25-13, 25-19, 20-25, 25-18).
• The loss snaps Texas' 23-match winning streak. It is the Longhorns' first loss in 97 days (Sept. 13 vs Arizona State 0-3).
• The loss is the first for Texas in 11 postseason matches. 10 straight wins was a school record.
• Texas' 19-25 first set loss was its widest margin of loss in an NCAA National Semifinal set since a 13-25 loss to Penn State in the 2010 National Championship (Lost match 3-0).
• Texas' .106 third set hitting percentage was its second-lowest in the entire NCAA Championship tournament (.094 in 15-25 third set vs Texas A&M on Dec. 6).
• Texas is the first defending champ to be held to under 20 points in its first two sets in the following year's National Semifinal since Long Beach State in 1999 (Scored 10 points apiece in the first two sets vs Stanford) and the first defending champ to be held under 20 points in its first set since Washington in 2006 (Lost opening set to Stanford 30-12).
• Losses in the first two sets by Texas marked the first time this season the Longhorns fell behind 0-2 in a match.
• Texas coach Jerritt Elliott six National Semifinal appearances makes him the 10th coach in NCAA Championships history with at least six National Semifinal appearances.
• The third set's combined 54 points is the second-most in a National Championship match (Semifinal or Final) since the tournament went to a 25-point format in 2008 (58 - Oregon-Penn St. - 2012).