April 25, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – For the second season in a row, the Wisconsin women’s tennis team saw its season come to an end in the first round of the Big Ten tournament, as No. 38 Indiana cruised to a 4-0 sweep of the Badgers in Bloomington, Ind., on Thursday afternoon.
After scoring a shocking, 5-2, victory over the Hoosiers (18-8, 6-5 B1G) last season in Madison, the Badgers (5-18, 3-8 B1G) have dropped the last three meetings against IU by a combined score of 15-0.
The action opened with Indiana taking the doubles point behind dominant performances at the No. 1 and 2 slots. Leslie Hureau and Carolyn Chupa got the Hoosiers off to a good start with an 8-4 defeat of Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha at No. 1.
Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy bested Katie Hoch and Anastasia Tripolskaya at No. 2, 8-2. With the doubles point already Indiana’s, the No. 3 match between Katie Klyczek and Sophie Garre and Lauren Burich and Helen Rabot was called early.
The Hoosiers doubled their lead when Berner came up short against No. 110 Hureau in the No. 1 match, losing 6-3, 6-1 in the last match of her collegiate career.
After Chupa put the Badgers on the brink with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Tripolskaya in the No. 3 match, Garre clinched the win for the Hoosiers with a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Burich at No. 4.
#6 Indiana 4, #11 Wisconsin 0
1. #110 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Hannah Berner (UW), 6-3, 6-1
2. #103 Katie Klyczek (IND) vs. Lauren Chypyha (UW) Unfinished
3. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (UW), 6-2, 6-2
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Lauren Burich (UW), 6-1, 6-1
5. Sophie Garre (IND) vs. Katie Hoch (UW) Unfinished
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND) vs. Helen Rabot (UW) Unfinished
1. Leslie Hureau/Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (UW), 8-4
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Katie Hoch/Anastasia Tripolskaya (UW) 8-2
3. Katie Klyczek/Sophie Garre (IND) vs. Lauren Burich/Helen Rabot (UW) Unfinished
Order of Completion: Doubles (1, 2); Singles (1, 3, 4)