April 24, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- The Wisconsin women’s tennis team played their first match of the Big Ten tournament. The No. 11 seed Badgers took on the No. 6 seed Minnesota Gophers.
The last time the Badgers met the Gophers was on March 2 for UW’s first Big Ten match of the season. The Border Battle lived up to its name as multiple disputes broke out throughout the match. In the end, the short-handed Badgers fell, 4-3, to the Gophers.
Wisconsin fought just as hard as they did the first time in the Border Battle but the 65th-ranked Minnesota bested the Badgers, 4-3. The Badgers knew it was going to be a close match from the start.
In No. 2 doubles, Nova Patel and Anastasia Tripolskaya fell, 8-2, to Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter.
Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich then claimed the match against Tereza Brichacova in No. 1 doubles, 8-3.
The doubles point then came down to No. 3 doubles. Sydney Rider and Becca Bailey were unable to capture the win against Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon-Otero falling short, 8-5.
The first match to finish was No. 1 singles, where Chypyha won against Natallia Pintusava, 6-3, 6-4.
At No. 4 singles, Patel defeated Aria Lambert, 7-5, 6-4.
Tripolskaya dominated against Jessika Mozia, 6-1, 6-0, in No. 2 singles.
In No. 5 singles, Rider fell, 6-2, 6-4, to Maja Vujic.
Senior, Bailey also fell to Paula Rincon-Otero, 6-1, 6-3, in No. 6 singles.
The deciding point then came down to the No. 3 singles match where Burich lost 6-1 in the first set to Julia Courter. She then fought hard in the second set but fell short, 7-6.
1. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) – 6-3, 6-4
2. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) – 6-1, 6-0
3. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) – 6-1, 7-6
4. Nova Patel (WIS) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) – 7-5, 6-4
5. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) – 6-2, 6-4
6. Paula Rincon-Otero (MINN) def. Becca Bailey (WIS) – 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: (1, 5, 4, 2, 6, 3)
1. Lauren Chypyha / Lauren Burich (WIS) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) – 8-3
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Nova Patel / Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) – 8-2
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon-Otero (MINN) def. Sydney Rider / Becca Bailey (WIS) – 8-5
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)