April 21, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin women’s tennis team closed the door on the 2013 regular season with a 4-0 loss to No. 14 Nebraska in Lincoln on Sunday afternoon. The Badgers (5-17, 3-8 B1G) end the season winless on the road for the first time since 2000.
The Cornhuskers (21-4, 10-1 B1G) entered the match tied for the conference lead, and quickly proved that they were worthy of their lofty No. 14 ranking with a dominating doubles effort.
The Badgers faced an uphill battle in doubles, facing a pair of nationally-ranked tandems. In the No. 1 match, No. 4 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova blew past Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha, 8-1, to open competition.
No. 77 Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein quickly followed suit at No. 2, dropping Anastasia Tripolskaya and Katie Hoch to claim the doubles point for Nebraska. The No. 3 match was called with Izabella Zgierska and Maggy Lehmicke leading Helen Rabot and Lauren Burich, 6-4.
No. 11 Weatherholt extended the Husker lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 defeat of Berner in the No. 1 match. Veresova pushed the Badgers to the brink after taking down Chypyha at No. 2, 6-2, 6-2. Lehmicke’s straight-set, 6-2, 6-0 win over Burich at No. 4 clinched the match for Nebraska, as the remaining matches were called with the Huskers holding an insurmountable 4-0 lead.
Nebraska led in each of the three unfinished matches, with Weinstein ahead of Tripolskaya at No. 3, 6-3, 0-2, Weinreich holding a 6-2, 3-1 advantage over Hoch at No. 5, and Maike Zeppernick edging Rabot at No. 6, 6-3, 2-3.
Wisconsin returns to the courts for the first round of the Big Ten tournament on Thursday afternoon, in Bloomington, Ind.
No. 14 Nebraska - 4
Wisconsin - 0
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Hannah Berner (UW) 6-2, 6-0.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Lauren Chypyha (UW) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) vs. Anastasia Tripolskaya 6-3, 0-2 DNF.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Lauren Burich (UW) 6-2, 6-0.
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Katie Hoch (UW) 6-2, 3-1 DNF.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Helen Rabot (UW) 6-3, 2-3 DNF.
Order of finish (1, 2, 4)
1. No. 4 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (UW) 8-1.
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya/Katie Hoch (UW) 8-3.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) vs. Helen Rabot/Lauren Burich (UW) 6-4 DNF.
Order of finish (1, 2)