April 19, 2014
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin women’s tennis team, in its first home outdoor match of the year, fell to No. 13 Northwestern, 7-0.
“Being outside is the same for everyone and I don’t think being outside had anything do with our loss,” said head coach Tina Samara. “This is our first 7-0 loss and it was a tight 7-0.”
The Badgers (7-11, 2-8) were unable to capture the doubles point against the Wildcats.
Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich fell short to the No. 28th-ranked doubles team of Alicia Barnett and Veronica Corning in No. 1 doubles, 8-3.
In No. 3 doubles, Becca Bailey and Sydney Rider also fell, 8-2, to Belinda Niu and Brooke Rischbieth.
“Doubles was a problem again,” Samara said. “We have got to find a way to change that.”
In singles, Bailey was defeated by Nida Hamilton, 6-1, 6-2, in No. 6 singles.
Patel then fell, 6-2, 6-2, to Manon Peri in No. 4 singles.
In No. 3 singles, Burich fell short to Alicia Barnett, 6-3, 6-2.
At No. 5 singles, Rider was defeated, 7-5, 6-2, by Lok Sze Leung.
“This showed us the reason why we are not top twenty because when they get opportunities they convert on them,” said Samara. “If they don’t convert then they are making us do something big on that point.”
Chypyha was able to claim the first set against the No. 38th-ranked Veronica Corning, 6-4, in No. 1 singles. She then dropped the second set, 6-3, before losing in the third set, 6-3.
“Chyps went away for a few points here and there and that is the difference against a player who is top forty in the nation,” said Samara. “You can’t disappear for a few points.”
After defeating the No. 20th-ranked player Ronit Yurovsky from Michigan last weekend, Tripolskaya lost a hard-fought contest to the No. 43rd-ranked singles player Belinda Niu, 6-1, 7-5.
“We are young but our No. 1 and 2 took two top-fifty players to the wire,” said Samara. “Nasty didn’t get it to that third but she was really close and we have to look at that as progress right now.”
The Badgers close out the regular season tomorrow at 11 a.m. (CT) against No. 43 Illinois at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
1. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) – 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) – 6-1, 7-5
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) – 6-3, 6-2
4. Manon Peri (NU) def. Nova Patel (WIS) – 6-2, 6-2
5. Lok Sze Leung (NU) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) – 7-5, 6-2
6. Nida Hamiltion (NU) def. Becca Bailey (WIS) – 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: (6, 4, 3, 5, 1, 2)
1. Alicia Barnett/Veronica Conrning (NU) def. Lauren Chypyha / Lauren Burich (WIS) – 8-3
2. Nova Patel / Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) vs. Nida Hamilton/Maddie Lipp (NU) - Unfinished
3. Belinda Niu/Brooke Rischbieth (NU) def. Sydney Rider / Becca Bailey (WIS) – 8-2
Order of Finish: (1, 3)