April 14, 2013
MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin women's tennis team fell into a deep hole early and was never able to climb out, as No. 34 Indiana (17-6, 6-3 B1G) handed the Badgers their ninth-straight road loss with a 7-0 sweep in Bloomington on Sunday afternoon.
"We competed hard today, but Indiana is a very good team this year," said head coach Brian Fleishman. "Katie Hoch is playing solid tennis right now and getting better with every match. The team is getting better, and we're focusing now on peaking in time for the Big Ten tournament."
Indiana swept the doubles matchups to take the day's opening point from UW (4-16, 2-7 B1G). None of Wisconsin's three doubles pairings got within three games of the Hoosiers, as Leslie Hureau and Carolyn Chupa took the No. 1 match against Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha, 8-3, Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy bested Anastasia Tripolskaya and Katie Hoch, 6-3, at No. 2, and Sophie Garre and Katie Klycezk had their match called with a 6-3 lead in the No. 3 matchup against Helen Rabot and Lauren Burich.
Hureau set the tone for the singles matches by putting IU ahead 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 defeat of Berner at No. 1. Indiana's lead grew to 3-0 after Chupa took down Tripolskaya at No. 3, 6-2, 6-1. The No. 6 match proved to be the Hoosiers' clincher, with Jithmie Jayawickrema besting Pernilla Wohlstrom, 6-1, 6-0.
IU ran its final margin to 7-0 with three more singles wins to close the day. First, Klycezk held off Chypyha, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2. Kauss dispatched of Burich at No. 4, 6-2, 6-3, to give Indiana a 6-0 lead. The No. 5 match was the last contest to conclude, with Garre fighting off a pesky Hoch in a supertiebreaker, 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4). Hoch was the lone Badgers to extend her match to a third set.
Wisconsin returns to Madison for a Senior Day match against Iowa on Friday at 2 p.m. at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
No. 34 Indiana 7, Wisconsin 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Hannah Berner (WIS) 6-0, 6-1
2. Katie Klycezk (IND) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 6-4, 6-4
3. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND) def. Pernilla Wohlstrom (WIS) 6-1, 6-0
1. Leslie Hureau/ Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 8-3
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) susp. Anastasia Tripolskaya/Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-3
3. Sophie Garre/ Katie Klycezk (IND) def. Helen Rabot/Lauren Burich (WIS) 8-3
Order of Completion: Doubles (1,3), Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)