Feb. 16, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – For the second time this season, the Wisconsin women’s tennis team was swept on the road against a southern foe, as Louisville (8- 2) rolled over the Badgers at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, 7-0.
Playing in their second-straight match without No.1 singles and doubles player Hannah Berner, the Badgers (1-5) fell into an early hole by losing the doubles point for the sixth-consecutive time this season. Though UW lost the point, it did manage a win in the No. 2 doubles match, the team's only win of the day.
"The team competed hard against a good Louisville team today. Our doubles are getting better each match and with Berner being out of the lineup, our singles are out of place,” said Wisconsin head coach Brian Fleishman. “We learned more about ourselves as a team today and will now get back to work preparing for a good Marquette team."
At No.1 doubles, Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich fell to Rebecca Shine and Julia Fellerhoff of Louisville, 8-2. UW fared better in the No. 2 match, where Anastasia Tripolskaya and Katie Hoch took down Mandy Brown and Stefanie Vallajuan, 8-4. The Badgers couldn't continue their momentum in the No. 3 doubles match, where Helen Rabot and Pernilla Wohlstrom losing to Manuela Velasquez and Rebecca Bodine, 8-5.
UW failed to make up ground in the singles competition, where all six Badgers lost. In her second-straight match at No. 1 singles, Chypyha was defeated by Fellerhoff, 7-6 (4), 6-3. Shine added to Louisville’s lead with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Hoch in No. 2 singles, and Velasquez topped Burich in No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-3. Tripolskaya couldn’t get past Brown in the No. 4 singles match, losing 6-2, 7-6 (4).
The No. 5 and 6 matches both went to the Cardinals to close out the action. Vallajuan cruised past Rabot, 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 5 match, and Bodine bested Wohlstrom, 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 match.
Wisconsin looks to bounce back when it takes on Marquette in a rivalry showdown at 5 p.m. on Feb. 20 at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Louisville 7, No. 75 Wisconsin, 0
1. Rebecca Shine/Julia Fellerhoff (UL) def. Lauren Burich/Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 8-2
2. Katie Hoch/Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) def. Mandy Brown/Stefanie Villajuan (UL) 8-4
3. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Bodine (UL) def. Helen Rabot/Pernilla Wohlstrom (WIS) 8-5
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UL) def. Lauren Chypyha (UW) 7-6 (4), 6-3
2. Rebecca Shine (UL) def. Katie Hoch (UW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Manuela Velasquez (UL) def. Lauren Burich (UW) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mandy Brown (UL) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (UW) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5. Stefanie Villajuan (UL) def. Helen Rabot (UW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Rebecca Bodine (UL) def. Pernilla Wohlstrom (UW) 6-0, 6-1