Feb. 2, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin women’s tennis team fell to Dartmouth, 6-1, on Friday night in Hanover, N.H. With the loss, the Badgers fell to 0-3 on the season, while Dartmouth improved to 2-1.
UW dropped the doubles point after losses in both the No.1 and 2 doubles matches. Wisconsin’s No.1 combination of Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha was defeated by the Big Green’s Akiko Okuda and Katherine Yau, 8-5, in opening action. Lauren Burich and Helen Rabot followed it up with an 8-1 loss of their own in the No. 2 matchup, to Sarah Bessen and Melissa Matusuoka.
With the doubles point already won by Dartmouth, the No. 3 doubles match was allowed to finish, and the Badgers made the most of the opportunity. Katie Hoch and Anastasia Tripolskaya breezed past Julienne Keong and Suzy Tan, 8-3.
Trailing in the match, 1-0, the Badgers lost five of six singles matches to lock in the win for Dartmouth. Pernilla Wohlstrom opened the singles action by falling to Sarah Bessen, 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 matchup. Dartmouth extended its lead to 3-0 after the No. 3 singles match, where Yau defeated Hoch, 6-0, 6-4. A 7-6, 6-0 loss by Tripolskaya to Okuda in the No. 4 singles match sealed the match for Dartmouth.
Burich couldn’t get UW on the board in the No. 5 match, where she lost to Matusuoka, 6-4, 6-4 to put Dartmouth’s advantage at 5-0. Berner finally scored a win for UW in the No.1 match, upending Sarah Leonard, 6-3, 7-5 to earn her first singles win of the spring season.
The day concluded with Chypyha coming up short against Janet Liu, falling 6-4, 7-6 (3) in the No. 2 singles match.
The Badgers cap off their east coast trip with a match against Boston University on Saturday at noon.
Dartmouth 6, No. 75 Wisconsin, 1
1. Akiko Okuda/Katherine Yau (DC) def. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 8-5
2. Sarah Bessen/Melissa Matusuoka (DC) def. Lauren Burich/Helen Rabot (WIS) 8-1
3. Katie Hoch/Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) def. Julienne Keong/Suzy Tan (DC) 8-3
1. Hannah Berner (WIS) def. Sarah Leonard (DC) 6-3, 7-5
2. Janet Liu def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 6-4, 7-6(3)
3. Katherine Yau def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-0, 6-4
4. Akiko Okuda (DC) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) 7-6, 6-0
5. Melissa Matusuoka (DC) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-4, 6-4
6. Sarah Bessen def. Pernilla Wohlstrom (WIS) 6-0, 6-1