Jan. 22, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin women’s tennis team started the day with a 7-0 sweep over Green Bay and capped off its opening weekend in similar style with a 7-0 shutout over Milwaukee, Sunday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
With the 4-0 start the Badgers are off to their best start under head coach Brian Fleishman, who is in his fifth season.
“The positive thing for us to get out of this weekend is that we know that we can stay focused for four matches,” Fleishman said.
In nine combined singles and doubles matches, the Badgers dropped just 12 games to the Phoenix in the first round of Sunday’s doubleheader.
The closest match of the morning was at No. 3 singles. Green Bay’s Morgan Weuve made freshman Nova Patel dig deep in order to record a victory in her Wisconsin debut. Patel won the first set 6-2 and dug out a 7-5 second set victory to record her first win as a Badger.
Despite competitive games, junior Hannah Berner posted a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jennifer Bradfield at No. 1 singles.
Representing Wisconsin in the two-spot, freshman Sarah Loebel surrendered one game to Amanda Timm on her way to a 6-0, 6-1 win.
At No. 4 singles, senior Lauren Gruber cruised past Maria Anderson, 6-0, 6-0
Sophomore Caroline Bauer escaped a meeting with Rebecca Nelson unblemished recording a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 5 singles.
Senior Angela Chupa also recorded a win at No. 6 singles with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Samantha Iwen.
In its defeat over Green Bay, all three of Wisconsin’s doubles teams recorded victories.
At the top spot, Berner and senior Alaina Trgovich topped Bradfield and Nelson, 8-2, while Chupa and Markovic captured an 8-0 win over Timm and Weuve at No. 2 doubles. Gruber and Bauer picked up an 8-1 win over Anderson and Iwen in the No. 3 spot.
Although the final score might say differently, there were some tight matches in Wisconsin’s meeting with Milwaukee.
Berner ousted Maddy Soule in a marathon match at No. 1 singles. After falling 6-4 in the first set, Berner came back to take the second set decisively, 6-0, before edging Soule in a long third set, 7-5.
“Hannah’s matches are always exciting,” Fleishman said. “She’s just one of those players that no matter if she loses the first set, wins the second set, or whatever, we know she’s going to battle to the end.”
At No. 2 singles, Loebel also had to come from behind after losing the first set, 6-2, to Chelsea Bailey. The Wisconsin freshman went on to win the second set, 6-2, before winning 10-6 in a tiebreak for the match.
Patel earned her second start as a Badger at No. 3 singles, beating Christina Colarossi, 6-3, 6-4.
Trgovich competed at No. 4 singles and claimed a dominating 6-0, 6-0 win over Kelly Fritz.
Markovic picked up another Wisconsin victory at No. 5 singles as she topped Brittany Skemp, 6-1, 6-3.
At No. 6 singles, Chupa recorded a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Beth Ganser.
Wisconsin also swept the Panthers’ doubles teams. The duos of Markovic and Chupa and Bauer and Gruber claimed 8-2 victories. At No. 2 doubles, Markovic and Chupa defeated Ganser and Megan Gow, while Bauer and Gruber took down the pair of Skemp and Fritz at No. 3.
After falling behind, 6-7, Berner and Trgovich, representing UW at No. 1 doubles, forced a tiebreak where they won, 8-6, to pick up an 8-7 victory.
The Badgers will now spend the next few weeks preparing for a Feb. 10 meeting with DePaul in Madison.
Wisconsin vs. Green Bay Final Results:
1. Hannah Berner/Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Jennifer Bradfield/ Rebecca Nelson (UWGB), 8-2
2. Angela Chupa/ Aleksandra Markovic (UW) def. Amanda Timm/ Morgan Weuve (UWGB), 8-0
3. Lauren Gruber/ Caroline Bauer (UW) def. Maria Anderson/ Samantha Iwen (UWGB), 8-1
1. Hannah Berner (UW) def. Jennifer Bradfield (UWGB), 6-0, 6-0
2. Sarah Loebel (UW) def. Amanda Timm (UWGB), 6-0, 6-1
3. Nova Patel (UW) def. Morgan Weuve (UWGB), 6-2, 7-5
4. Lauren Gruber (UW) def. Maria Anderson (UWGB), 6-0, 6-0
5. Caroline Bauer (UW) def. Rebecca Nelson (UWGB), 6-0, 6-0
6. Angela Chupa (UW) def. Samantha Iwen (UWGB), 6-0, 6-1
Wisconsin vs. Milwaukee Final Results
1. Hannah Berner/ Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Christina Colarossi/ Maddy Soule (UWM), 8-7 (6)
2. Aleksandra Markovic/ Angela Chupa (UW) def. Beth Ganser/ Megan Gow (UWM), 8-2
3. Caroline Bauer/ Lauren Gruber (UW) def. Brittany Skemp/ Kelly Fritz (UWM), 8-2
1. Hannah Berner (UW) def. Maddy Soule (UWM), 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
2. Sarah Loebel (UW) def. Chelsea Bailey (UWM), 2-6, 6-2, (10-6)
3. Nova Patel (UW) def. Christina Colarossi (UWM), 6-3, 6-4
4. Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Kelly Fritz (UWM), 6-0, 6-0
5. Aleksandra Markovic (UW) def. Brittany Skemp (UWM), 6-1, 6-3
6. Angela Chupa (UW) def. Beth Ganser (UWM), 6-1, 6-0