Nov. 3, 2013
MADISON, Wis. -- A small Wisconsin women's rowing contingent raced at the inaugural Collegiate Small Boat Challenge on Saturday and Sunday at Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J. The regatta was designed to allow the rowers to showcase their talent in Olympic events that are not normally raced as part of the NCAA format.
With three openweight rowers and a pair of lightweights competing, it was senior openweight rower Monica Whitehouse posting the top finish, taking third place in the women's single sculls among 28 entries. Whitehouse won Saturday's time trail to make the six-boat final on Sunday, then clocked an 8:17.07 in the finals over 2000 meters to finish third. A Syracuse rower won in 8:08.30, with a Princeton rower taking second in 8:13.54.
In the women's pair, the openweight entry of Anne Rauschert and Elizabeth Schoenfeldt reached Sunday's final with a fifth-place finish in Saturday's time trail. They improved a spot on Sunday, claiming fourth place in 7:45.43. Northeastern won in 7:40.35, with Syracuse (7:44.11) and Boston University (7:44.87) finishing in the medals ahead of the Badger duo.
UW's lightweight boat of Alessandra Ruenger and Jennifer Kish was ninth in the time trail to make the B final. Sunday, they stroked to fourth place in the B final to claim 10th place among the 31 mainly openweight boats entered.
"Very good day for the Badgers," said head coach Bebe Bryans. "We improved racing and rowing, so a good learning experience and we're very glad to have come. Many thanks to the race organizers for putting this together - we were happy to be a part of the first small boat championship. Go Badgers!"
Collegiate Small Boat Challenge
West Windsor, N.J.
Nov. 2-3, 2013
Women's Pair (A Final - 31 total entries)
1. Northeastern A, 7:40.35; 2. Syracuse A, 7:44.11; 3. Boston University A, 7:44.87; 4. Wisconsin A, 7:45:43; 5. Radcliffe A, 7:46.98; 6. Syracuse B, 7:47.35
UW Lineup - Anne Rauschert, Elizabeth Schoenfeldt
1. Syracuse D, 8:02.60; 2. Penn A, 8:0479; 3. Radcliffe A, 8:07.40; 4. Wisconsin B, 8:10.47; 5. Princeton C, 8:10.92; 6. Princeton B, 8:15.87
UW Lineup - Alessandra Ruenger, Jennifer Kish
Women's Single Sculls (A Final - 28 entries)
1. Syracuse A, 8:08.30; 2. Princeton D, 8:13.54; 3. Wisconsin A, 8:17.07; 4. Princeton B, 8:25.70; 5. Umass A, 8:26.39; 6. Boston University A, 8:38.21
SATURDAY TIME TRIALS
Women's Pair (31 entries)
1. Northeastern A, 7:14.77; 2. Syracuse B, 7:14.93; 3. Boston University A, 7:17.31; 4. Syracuse A, 7:18.57; 5. Wisconsin A, 7:20.80; 6. Radcliffe A, 7:21.14; 7. Princeton C, 7:28.17; 8. Penn A, 7:29.02; 9. Wisconsin B, 7:29.43
A - Anne Rauschert, Elizabeth Schoenfeldt
B - Alessandra Ruenger, Jennifer Kish
Women's Single Sculls (28 entries)
1. Wisconsin A, 7:33.43; 2. Syracuse A, 7:34.95; 3. UMass A, 7:46.27; 4. Princeton D, 7:48.25; 5. Boston University A, 7:49.38
UW Lineup - Monica Whitehouse