Oct. 14, 2012
MADISON, Wis. - High winds and pouring rain don't make for optimal rowing conditions, but the less-than-ideal weather didn't slow the Wisconsin women's openweight and lightweight rowing teams at the Head of the Rock Regatta on the Rock River in Rockford, Ill., Sunday afternoon.
The Badgers had 29 boats compete in six races and brought home 11 medals. Wisconsin had six more boats set to compete in the varsity eights race, but the event was cancelled due to the weather conditions.
UW swept the top two spots in five of its six events and collected at least one medal in each race it competed in.
"As expected, the team as a whole came together for a great performance at the Rock," UW head coach Bebe Bryans said. "It is our first full team regatta of the year, so it's a great learning experience."
The Badgers started the day with eight boats competing in the women's pairs. UW placed two teams in the top five of the race, including a third place finish behind Minnesota and Louisville. Wisconsin's effort was rounded out with a fourth-place finish and a sweep of the sixth through eleventh spots.
Next up were the two singles races, where the Badgers were well represented on the podium. Senior Kendal Schmidt took second in the women's novice singles race and junior Monica Whitehouse also placed second in the women's open singles race.
In the novice fours race, Wisconsin swept the top-five spots, with the novice lightweights taking the top spot. The lightweight's success continued in the novice eights race, as they again took first place and UW as a whole captured six of the top nine spots.
"Their performances are a promise for the future continued power of Lightweight women's rowing in this country," UW lightweight head coach Lisa Schlenker said of the novices' performance. "I am so pleased with their performance and enthusiasm."
The Head of the Rock marked the first collegiate rowing experience for the Badgers' novice squads and according to Bryans, the weather made that introduction a rude one.
"The weather today was not the best introduction into the world of crew racing for either novice squads," Bryans said. "But they raced well and got a taste of what all of the hard training can lead to, so it was a successful day for them."
In the first, and as it turned out only, varsity race of the day, the Wisconsin openweights took first and second, finishing only seconds apart, in the varsity four race. Overall, Badger openweights took home six of the top 11 spots in the varsity four race, as well as placing lightweight boats in the 19th and 21st positions.
The fours ended up being the only chance for the Badger varsity boats to get out on the water, as the weather conditions forced the cancellation of the varsity eights race.
"I think the varsity opens raced with a lot of aggression and we were disappointed not to have a chance to race the eights," Bryans said.
Next up for the Wisconsin openweight and lightweights eights is the Head of the Charles regatta, which will take place Oct. 21 in Boston.
Women's Collegiate 2-
1. Minnesota A, 21:17.046; 2. Louisville B, 21:24.782; 3. Wisconsin D, 21:29.888; 4. Wisconsin E, 21:29.920; 5. Minnesota B, 21:49.822; 6. Wisconsin A, 22:19.546; 7. Wisconsin H, 22:25.295; 8. Wisconsin G, 22:28.094; 9. Wisconsin F, 22:59.172; 10. Wisconsin C, 23:16.719; 11. Wisconsin B, 23:52.810
Women's Open Novice 1x
1. Y Quad Cities Rowing, 28:16.578; 2. Wisconsin, 29:03.484; Kendal Schmidt
Women's Open 1x
1. Y Quad Cities Rowing, 21:42.958; 2. Wisconsin, 22:33.391; Monica Whitehouse
Women's Collegiate Novice 4+
1. Wisconsin Lightweight D, 20:41.921; 2. Wisconsin Openweight E, 20:56.985; 3. Wisconsin Openweight A, 21:00.235; 4. Wisconsin Lightweight B, 21:38.046; 5. Wisconsin Openweight C, 21:43.203
Women's Collegiate 4+
1. Wisconsin Openweight H, 18:26.781; 2. Wisconsin Openweight E, 18:29.250; 3. Iowa A, 18:42.921; 4. Louisville B, 18:51.281; 5. Louisville E, 18:53.500; 6. Minnesota A, 19:00.859; 7. Wisconsin Openweight B, 19:02.781; 8. Wisconsin Openweight D, 19:03.759; 9. Wisconsin Openweight G, 19:29.202; 10. Iowa C, 19:30.385; 11. Wisconsin Openweight C, 19:33.724
19. Wisconsin Lightweight A, 20:30.320; 21. Wisconsin Lightweight F, 20:44.531
Women's Collegiate Novice 8+
1. Wisconsin Lightweight C, 17:48.484; 2. Wisconsin Openweight A, 17:53.813; 3. Wisconsin Openweight B, 18:30.406; 4. Iowa A, 18:42.172; 5. Indiana A, 18:59.125; 6. Wisconsin Lightweight D, 19:00.828; 7. Indiana B, 19:04.531; 8. Wisconsin F, 19:14.407; 9. Wisconsin Lightweight E, 19:26.125
Women's Collegiate 8+ (cancelled)
UW Athletic Communications