Dec. 30, 2011
Box Score |
Behind the Box vs. No. 9 Ohio State
Dec. 30, 2011
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Player of the Game
Junior Taylor Wurtz scored in double figures for the 13th time this season, sharing the team lead with 10 points while adding eight rebounds.
Play of the Game
With 10:44 left to play in the game, Wisconsin scored on the fast break to make it 60-46. Taylor Wurtz hit Ashley Thomas inside the free throw line and Thomas laid it in without dribbling.
Ohio State outscored Wisconsin 13-0 to start the second half. The Buckeyes led 38-37 at the half and increased their lead to 51-37 with 16:02 to play in the game. OSU outscored Wisconsin 20-2 in the first seven minutes to take a 58-39 lead with 12:55 remaining.
Stat of the Game
The Badgers turned the ball over a season-low 11 times. Ohio State had seven turnovers.
- Senior Ashley Thomas scored 10 points, her sixth game this year in double figures.
- Freshman Jacki Gulczynski scored a career-high eight points, her third straight game tallying a career best. She had six points vs. Drake on Dec. 11 and seven points against Green Bay on Dec. 23. The 6-1 guard was a perfect 2-of-2 from 3-point range and 3-of-7 (.429) from the field.
- Freshman AnnMarie Brown improved to 7-for-7 from the free throw line this season, hitting 3-of-3 for the game.
- Freshman Lindsay Smith pulled down a career-high six rebounds. The 5-9 guard doubled her previous best of three boards. Smith also had a career-best two assists.
- The Badgers had a season-high 10 different scorers in the game.
- Ohio State led 38-37 at the half, the smallest halftime lead for the Buckeyes this season.
- Wisconsin’s first-half point total of 37 points is the highest first-half total for the Badgers this season.
- For the first time in the month of December, the Badgers scored more than 50 points. Wisconsin scored its fourth-highest point total of the season and the most since scoring 71 vs. Montana State on Nov. 25.
- The Badgers took a season-high 62 field goal attempts, making 24, the second highest of the season.
- The Buckeyes 77 points was the second most by an opponent this season. The Buckeyes made 31 field goals, tying a season high for an opponent.
- Wisconsin went just 5-of-8 from the free throw line, a season low for makes and attempts.
- Wisconsin drew a season high attendance of 5,175 fans.
Big Ten scores
Michigan State 63, Indiana 49 (Bloomington, Ind.)
Nebraska 71, Penn State 63 (University Park, Pa.)
Iowa 86, Northwestern 55 (Iowa City, Iowa)
Purdue 57, Minnesota 53 (West Lafayette, Ind.)
Michigan 70, Illinois 50 (Champaign, Ill.)