Dec. 23, 2011
Box Score |
Behind the Box vs. Green Bay
Dec. 23, 2011
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Player of the Game
Junior Taylor Wurtz tallied her fifth career double-double and third on the season with a team-high 20 points and 12 rebounds. Wurtz shot 8-of-13 (.615 percent) from the field, including 4-of-6 (.667 percent) from 3-point range. The 6-0 guard also added a season-high two blocks and one assist in 38 minutes. It was Wurtz’s 12th-straight game in double-figure scoring and her second this season with 20-or-more points. It was also her third double-figure rebounding total of the year.
Wurtz moves into 10th on the UW career record list for 3-pointers made with 117. She passed Karie Cattanach (1993-97), who had 116 treys in her career. Wurtz ranks third on the record list for 3-point percentage at .366 (117-of-320).
Play of the Game
With time running out on the shot clock, Taylor Wurtz hit a 3-pointer from approximately 30 feet to put Wisconsin up 30-26 with 1:04 to play in the half. Wurtz was at the near edge of the “motion W” on the Kohl Center court when she made the shot. Her shot keyed a 13-4 run at the end of the first half to put Wisconsin up 34-28 at the buzzer.
Wisconsin led 34-28 at the half but Green Bay outscored the Badgers 10-2 to take a 38-36 lead with 15:31 to play. Julie Wojta scored five of the Phoenix’s 10 points in the run.
Stat of the Game
The Badgers scored just 15 points in the second half, a season low for the team. The season low also ties for fifth all time for fewest points in a half.
- The Badgers wrap up their non-conference season with a 4-8 mark.
- Wisconsin drew a season-high crowd of 5,035.
- Sophomore Morgan Paige finished second on the team with 12 points. She was a perfect 3-for-3 from the free throw line.
- Senior Ashley Thomas tied her career high with three assists. She had three assists in two other games this season.
- Junior Tiera Stephen scored her first points of the season, tallying one field goal and going 2-for-2 from the free throw line. She also added two rebounds, two assists and a season-high two steals.
- Freshman Jacki Gulczynski scored a career-high seven points, her second straight game tallying a career best. The 6-0 guard was 3-of-5 from the field, including 1-of-2 from 3-point range. She also added two rebounds, one assists and a career-high two blocks in a career-best 25 minutes.
- Wisconsin tied its season high with five blocked shots. Taylor Wurtz and Jacki Gulzcynski led the UW with two stuffs apiece.
- The Badgers continue to struggle with scoring, averaging just 48.8 points per game the last four games. Wisconsin took a season-low 44 field goal attempts. UW also made a season-low six free throws and attempted a season-low nine free throws.
- Wisconsin has 25 turnovers against the Phoenix, the second-most giveaways this season. Green Bay scored 31 points of UW turnovers and 42 points in the paint.
- Green Bay is the first ranked team Wisconsin has met this season. The Badgers three of their next four games against ranked opponents.
- Green Bay wraps up its non-conference season with a perfect 10-0 mark, the second time in three seasons it has started the year perfect. The Phoenix also extend their regular-season winning streak to 30 games. GB has won seven straight games over Big Ten Conference opponents.