Dec. 10, 2012
Recap | Box Score | Quotes
Games notes vs. Florida Atlantic
Dec. 10, 2012
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Player of the Game
Freshman Tessa Cichy played the best game of her short career and “was probably the key to us winning this game,” according to head coach Bobbie Kelsey. The 6-0 guard played a career-high 26 minutes and scored a career-best 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting. Cichy pulled down a career-best six rebounds while adding one assist, one block and one steal.
Play of the Game
In the middle of the second half, Tiera Stephen found Tessa Cichy under the basket for a left-handed layin. The score gave the Badgers a 51-49 lead with 11:16 to play.
The Badgers outscored the Owls 13-4 in overtime, scoring seven points from the free throw line. Morgan Paige and Jacki Gulczynski were both a perfect 2-for-2 from the charity stripe in the final 20 seconds of play.
Stat of the Game
Wisconsin took a season high 31 free throw attempts, making 25 for 80.6 percent. Morgan Paige led the Badgers, going 8-of-9 from the line while Jacki Gulczynski was a perfect 4-of-4 from the stripe.
Stat of the Game II
Despite turning the ball over 27 times, the Badgers won the game. The Owls turned the ball over only 14 times in their second-straight loss. Wisconsin turned the ball over a season-high 31 times in a 69-50 win over Alabama on Dec. 1.
- Sophomore Jacki Gulczynski tallied her first career double-double with a career-high 16 points, shooting 6-of-14 from the field, and 11 rebounds. The 6-1 forward led all players in rebounding and was also a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line.
- Freshman Shannon Malone played a career-high 18 minutes and tied her career best with four points. The 6-1 forward was 2-for-2 from the free throw line and added a career-high six rebounds. She also tied her career best with one block.
- Senior Tiera Stephen tied her career best with nine assists. Stephen also had nine dimes against Ball State on Dec. 7, 2008, when she was playing at Louisville.
- Junior Morgan Paige led all scorers with a season-high 28 points, just one shy of her career best of 29 points. The 5-9 guard has scored in double figures in all nine games this season, including three games with 20-plus points.
- Freshman Nicole Bauman struggled on offense but recorded a career-high three blocks. She also tied her career best with five rebounds.
- The Badgers won three straight games for the first time this season and for the first time since winning three Big Ten games from Jan. 22 – Jan. 30, 2012.
- Wisconsin shot a season-best 50.9 percent (27-of-53) from the field. The Badgers also scored a season-high 82 points, the most since scoring 86 points in a 93-86 overtime loss vs. Kansas on Nov. 21, 2010.
- UW played its first overtime game of the season and it’s first since losing to Iowa, 85-79, on Feb. 2, 2012 in the Kohl Center. Head coach Bobbie Kelsey is now 1-1 in overtime games. The overtime win is the first for the Badgers since downing Wyoming, 63-59, on Dec. 15, 2010.
- Due to injuries, the Badgers played the entire overtime game with only seven players. Morgan Paige led all players with a career-high 43 minutes.
- Wisconsin's 6-3 start is the best opening since 2009-10 when the team went 7-1 to start the year.