Dec. 5, 2012
Box Score |
Game Notes vs. Marquette
Dec. 5, 2012
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Wisconsin 71, Marquette 68
Player of the Game
Freshman Nicole Bauman scored a career-high 16 points, including two free throws with 14.3 seconds remaining in the game, to seal the win. Fourteen of the 5-10 guard’s points came in the first half of play, where she hit her first two 3 pointers. Bauman shot 5-of-8 from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. She also added a career-high five steals in 34 minutes of play, a career best for participation.
Play of the Game
Bauman sank two free throws with 14.3 seconds remaining to seal the win for Wisconsin. The Badgers led 69-68 after Marquette’s Arlesia Morse hit a 3 pointer with 54 seconds to play. UW brought the ball up and after passing it around several times, Bauman was fouled by Brooklyn Pumroy. The freshman calmly sank the first free throw and also made the second after the Golden Eagles called a full timeout. Bauman’s free throws gave Wisconsin a 71-68 advantage. Marquette missed
Two free throws by AnnMarie Brown with 5:43 remaining tied the game at 63. Cassie Rochel added two free throws and Jacki Gulczynski chipped in one charity shot to give the Badgers a 66-63 lead with 4:45 to play. Gulczynski hit a 3 pointer from the top of the key with 1:38 left, giving Wisconsin at 69-63 lead.
Stat of the Game I
The Badgers made a season-high nine 3 pointers, shooting a season-best .600 (9-of-15) from behind the arc. Freshman Nicole Bauman made a career-best four 3 pointers while sophomore Jacki Gulczynski was a perfect 3-of-3 from deep. Junior Morgan Paige added two treys.
Stat of the Game II
Wisconsin recorded a season-high 13 steals, behind a career-best five takeaways from Bauman. Junior Cassie Rochel and senior Tiera Stephen both added three steals while Morgan Paige had two thefts.
- Wisconsin won two straight games for the first time this season and ended its W-L-W-L-W-L-W record.
- Sophomore Jacki Gulczynski scored a career-high 14 points, including a 3 pointer with 1:38 to play that put Wisconsin up 69-63. The 6-1 forward shot 5-of-8 from the field, including a perfect 3-of-3 from 3-point range. She also added two rebounds and one assist.
- The Badgers led at the half for the eighth straight game. UW led 43-41 at the break and outscored the Golden Eagles 28-27 in the second half for the win.
- Junior Morgan Paige scored in double figures for the eighth straight game. She led all players with 19 points.
- Junior Cassie Rochel finished with a career high four assists.
- Senior Tiera Stephen dished off a season-high and UW-best eight assists.
- The Badgers pulled down a season-low 29 rebounds. Rochel led the UW with seven boards.
- Marquette scored 68 points against Wisconsin, the highest point total for an opponent this season. The Golden Eagles made 27 field goals and shot an opponent season high 49.1 percent (27-of-55).
- Atten: 3,308