Dec. 1, 2012
Box Score |
Game notes vs. Alabama
Dec. 1, 2012
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Player of the Game
After scoring only three points in the first half, junior Morgan Paige went on a scoring tear in the second half, putting up 21 points. The 5-9 guard finished with a season-high 24 points on 7-of-19 shooting from the field, including 2-of-6 from 3-point range. Her 19 field goal attempts was a career high. She also added three rebounds, three assists and one steal in 36 minutes of play against the Crimson Tide.
Stat of the Game
The Badgers pulled down a season-high 59 rebounds with junior Cassie Rochel leading all players with a career-high 12 rebounds. Senior Tiera Stephen added a career best 11 rebounds as Wisconsin outrebounded Alabama 59-38 (+21). Sophomore Jacki Gulczynski added a career-high eight rebounds.
Play of the Game
With 15:24 to play in the first half, Tiera Stephen grabbed a defensive rebound, pushed the ball up court to Morgan Paige who drove to the basket for a layup. Paige was fouled and made her free throw. The old-fashioned three-point play gave Wisconsin an 11-4 lead.
Wisconsin never trailed in the game and jumped out to an 11-6 lead with 15:02 to play in the half. The Badgers scored 11 straight to take a 22-6 lead with 10:49 to play. Sophomore Jacki Gulczynski scored five of the Badgers’ points in the run.
- Freshman Dakota Whyte scored a career high 13 points, including nine points in the first half of play. The 5-8 guard was 6-of-9 (66.7 percent) from the field and also pulled down a career-best five rebounds.
- Freshman Nicole Bauman, who earned her second straight start, was a perfect 4-of-4 from the field, including 3-of-3 from 3-point range, for a career-high 11 points. The 5-10 guard also added four rebounds, two steals and one block in 26 minutes of play.
- Wisconsin tied its season high with 17 assists. Sophomore Jacki Gulczynski dished off a career-high five dimes. Alabama handed off just seven assists.
- The Badgers tied their season high with a 43.9 (25-of-57) shooting percentage from the field. Wisconsin also shot 43.9 percent (29-of-66) against Evansville on Nov. 25. UW shot a season best .500 (6-of-12) from 3-point range, making the most 3 pointers in a game this season. The Badgers also made a season-high 13 free throws, going 13-of-17 (.765) from the line.
- Wisconsin held Alabama to just 17 points in the first half of play, the Tide’s lowest single-half total of the season. The previous low was 34 points against Jacksonville State on Nov. 11. The 17 points ranks fourth on the UW record list for fewest points in a half by an opponent. The Crimson Tide scored just 50 points in the game, their lowest point total of the season by 29 points.
- Freshman Tessa Cichy made the first free throws of her career, going 2-of-3 from the line against the Crimson Tide. The 6-0 guard played a career-best seven minutes and added one rebound.
- The Badgers turned the ball over a season-high 31 times. Point guards Tiera Stephen and Dakota Whyte both tallied seven turnovers.
- Alabama shot just 22.7 percent (17-of-75) from the field, a season-low percentage for a Badger opponent this season. The Crimson Tide took an opponent season-high 75 attempts, including a season-high 31 attempts from 3-point range.