Feb. 26, 2012
Box Score |
Behind the box vs. Illinois
Feb. 26, 2012
Kohl Center, Madison, Wis.
Player of the Game
Sophomore Morgan Paige scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Badgers. It was the most points for a UW player since Alyssa Karel scored 31 points against Ohio State in the Big Ten Tournament on March 6, 2010.
The 5-9 guard set a Kohl Center record by going 11-of-11 from the free throw line, breaking the marks of Ebba Gebisa (10-of-10 vs. Michigan, Jan. 30, 2005) and Jessie Stomski (10-of-10 vs. Michigan, Jan. 20, 2000). Paige was also 8-of-14 (57.1 percent) from the field, including 2-of-5 (40 percent) from 3-point range. She added two rebounds, two assists and one steal in 36 minutes of play.
Play of the Game
With 12:57 to play, Taylor Wurtz drove to the basket and was fouled by Illinois’ Adrienne GodBold. Taylor converted on the old-fashioned three-point play after making the layup and the free throw. She gave Wisconsin its first lead since early in the first half, 44-43.
Illinois led 49-48 with 10:46 when the Badgers went on an 18-4 run to take a 66-53 lead with 3:52 to play. Taylor Wurtz and Morgan Paige both scored nine points for the UW in the run. Wisconsin held Illinois scoreless for nearly five minutes, from 8:14 to 3:39, scoring nine straight points.
Stat of the Game
Wisconsin outrebounded Illinois 36-17, its third-largest advantage of the season. Illinois’ total ties a Kohl Center record for fewest rebounds by an opponent, originally set by Southern Illinois on Nov. 22, 2004.
Stat of the Season
The Badgers set the UW season record for 3-pointers made. Wisconsin had four treys today to total 175 3-pointers on the season, breaking the old mark of 174 set in 2006-07.
- Taylor Wurtz recorded her second-straight double-double, scoring 21 points and pulling down a game-high 12 rebounds. The 6-0 guard was 9-of-16 (56.3 percent) from the field, including 2-of-6 (33.3 percent) from 3-point range. She also added two assists and one steal in 37 minutes.
- Wurtz needed just two points for 900 in her career and she got that easily with 21 points. She now has 919 points in her third season.
- After shooting 40 percent (10-of-25) in the first half, the Badgers improved to 64 percent (16-of-25) in the second half.
- UW scored 15 second-chance points as it pulled down 13 offensive rebounds.
- Today’s game featured five tied scores and six lead changes.
Other Big Ten scores
Purdue def. Indiana 90-58 (West Lafayette, Ind.)
Penn State def. Minnesota 74-51 (State College, Pa.)
Iowa def. Michigan 79-71 (Iowa City, Iowa)
Michigan State def. Northwestern 76-57 (Evanston, Ill.)
Nebraska def. Ohio State 71-57 (Lincoln, Neb.)