Nov. 20, 2012
Match Notes PDF l Season Stats
THE WEEK AHEAD
• The Wisconsin wrestling team (2-2, 0-0 Big Ten) returns home to the UW Field House this weekend for a dual with Northern Iowa.
• The meet will mark the season-opening dual for Northern Iowa, and the fifth dual of the year for the Badgers. The Panthers boast two nationally ranked wrestlers in the InterMat.com College Rankings. Their probable starter at 157 lbs., David Bonin, is the No. 15 wrestler at that weight class and Ryan Loder is No. 7 in the country at 184 lbs.
Last time out: at Old Dominion and Hokie Duals
• Last weekend, the Badgers made a 1-2 road swing through the state of Virginia for a dual against Old Dominion, and a trip to the Hokie Duals in Blacksburg, Va., for meets against Campbell University and Virginia Tech.
• Nov. 16, Wisconsin matched up with Old Dominion in Norfolk, Va. The Monarchs came away with the win, 19-12, that night, winning six of the night’s ten matches. Tyler Graff (141 lbs.), Frank Cousins (165 lbs.), Jackson Hein (197 lbs.) and Connor Medbery (Hwt.) earned the Badgers’ four match wins of the dual.
• Wisconsin then competed at the Hokie Duals at the Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, Va. The Badgers started the day off with a dual against Campbell University, and quickly ran away with the meet, winning eight of the ten matches for a team score of 35-7. Wisconsin found itself on the opposite end of a lopsided results in its dual with No. 12-ranked host Virginia Tech. The Hokies won each of the first eight matches of the meet and won easily, 32-6. Virginia Tech’s hopes for a shut out win were spoiled by Wisconsin wins from Hein at 197 lbs. and Medbery at heavyweight. Medbery’s win was his first of the season over a ranked opponent, as he upset the then-No. 15 ranked David Marone in a 3-2 decision.
So, we meet again
• This weekend’s matchup will be the 43rd all-time between Wisconsin and Northern Iowa, making the Panthers the second most wrestled non-Big Ten opponent in Badger program history. Wisconsin leads the all-time series 23-18-2, including a 17-4 record in Madison.
• The Badgers and Panthers matched up twice last season, with Northern Iowa emerging victorious in both meetings. They met Jan. 13, 2012 in Cedar Falls, Iowa, where the Panthers won 25-15, and again at the 2012 NWCA National Duals in Ames, Iowa, when UNI won 30-15. The last time the two programs met in Madison was during the 2010-11 season, when the Badgers upended the Panthers, 23-14.
Wisconsin Wrestling in the Polls
• Following their 1-2 Virginia road trip, the Badgers dropped out of the top-25 in the latest edition of the NWCA/USA Today Division I Team Coaches Poll. Wisconsin was previously ranked No. 25 in the Nov. 13 edition of the poll.
• Wisconsin has two of its wrestlers individually ranked in the InerMat.com College rankings. Redshirt junior Tyler Graff dropped from No. 3 to No. 8 at 141 lbs., following a 2-1 weekend where he lost to then-No. 10 ranked Zach Neibert of Virginia Tech. Redshirt freshman Connor Medbery moved up a spot, from No. 16 to No. 15, at heavyweight following a 3-0 weekend that included an upset win over Virginia Tech’s then-No. 15 ranked David Marone.