Nov. 15, 2012
Match Notes PDF l Season Stats
THE WEEK AHEAD
• The No. 25 Wisconsin wrestling team (1-0, 0-0 Big Ten) heads to Virginia this weekend for duals with Old Dominion (0-2) on Friday in Norfolk, Va., and a matchup with No. 12 Virginia Tech (0-0) in Blacksburg, Va., Sunday.
• Wisconsin will be Old Dominion’s third opponent of the season. The Monarchs competed at the Knight Point Open in Clarion, Pa., on Nov. 10, and dropped a pair of duals, losing to No. 7 Missouri 35- -1 and Purdue 29-9. Three of Old Dominion’s probable starters for the match against Wisconsin are ranked. Jerome Robinson is No. 17 at 125 lbs., Justin LaValle is No. 16 at 141 lbs. and John Nicholson is No. 19 at 157 lbs.
• Virginia Tech will open its season against No. 6 Ohio State on Friday before welcoming the Badgers Sunday. and will start six nationally ranked wrestlers, four of which are ranked in the top 10 at their respective weight classes. Jarrod Garnett is ranked No. 10 at 125 lbs., Zach Neibert is No. 10 at 141 lbs., Nick Brascetta is No. 19 at 149 lbs., Jesse Dong is No. 6 at 157 lbs., Pete Yates is No. 5 at 165 lbs. and David Marone is No. 15 at heavyweight.
| Match 1 | No. 25 Wisconsin (1-0, 0-0) vs. Old Dominion (0-2, 0-0)
|| Friday, November 16, 2012 | 6:30 p.m.
|| Norfolk, Va. | Ted Constant Center
| Live Coverage
|| Live Stats
| Match 2 | No. 25 Wisconsin (1-0, 0-0) vs. No. 12 Virginia Tech (0-0*, 0-0)
|| Sunday, November 18, 2012 | 1 p.m.
|| Blacksburg, Va. | Cassell Coliseum
| Live Video
|| ($) HokieSports.com/allaccess
Last time out: vs. No. 25 Hofstra
• The Badgers opened the 2012-13 season by knocking off No. 25 Hofstra, 18-13, last Sunday at the UW Field House. The win was Wisconsin’s first over a ranked opponent since the Badgers defeated then-No. 16 Northwestern, 25-13, on Feb. 10, 2011.
• The Badgers found themselves trailing against the Pride, 13-9, after seven matches, but stormed back to win on the strength of three-straight wins by decision by redshirt sophomore Dylan Iczkowski at 184 lbs., redshirt junior Jackson Hein at 197 lbs., and redshirt senior Cole Tobin at heavyweight.
History Lesson: Old Dominion and Virginia Tech
• This weekend will mark the third ever meeting between Wisconsin and Old Dominion, and the sixth all-time meeting of the Badgers and Hokies. All-time, Wisconsin is 2-0 against the Monarchs and 2-2 against Virginia Tech.
• Wisconsin and Old Dominion last matched up during the 2009-10 season in Madison, Wis., at the UW Field House. The Badgers won that day 21-19. Prior to that, the two team’s hadn’t seen each other since the 1992-93 season, when Wisconsin defeated the Monarchs, 33-7.
• The Badgers last faced Virginia Tech during the 2010-11 season at national duals where the Hokies came out on top, 20-19. The two teams also met earlier that year during the Big Ten/ACC Clash, where the Badgers updended the Hokies, 24-19. Before that season the two programs hadn’t faced each other since the late 60s, when they split a pair of duals at the UW Field House. Virginia Tech beat Wisconsin, 17-16, during the 1967-68 season and Wisconsin responded with a 22-13 win two seasons later in 1969-70.
Wisconsin Wrestling in the Polls
• The Badgers broke into the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll for the first time this season following their win over then-No.25 Hofstra. Wisconsin is ranked No. 25 in the Nov. 13 edition of the poll.
• Wisconsin has two of its wrestlers individually ranked in the InerMat.com College rankings. Redshirt junior Tyler Graff is No. 3 in the country at 141 lbs. and heavyweight Connor Medbery is ranked No. 16.