April 30, 2010
MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin proved they are a force to be reckoned with after sweeping the Golden Gophers, 4-0, in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Tournament. With the win, the Badgers will get its rematch with No. 1 seeded Ohio State in the semifinals.
After earning a bye in the first round, fourth-seeded Wisconsin took out fifth-seeded Minnesota for the second time this year after a 5-2 victory less than two weeks ago. Wisconsin improves to 19-7 overall as it prepares for a Buckeye team (30-1; 11-0 Big Ten) who is riding a Big Ten tournament win streak of 13 victories.
The Badgers opened strong, stealing the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions. The No.14-ranked duo of Moritz Baumann and Marek Michalicka finished first, easily taking out Julian Dehn and Tobias Wernt, 8-2. The duo improves to 10-4 in dual matches this season.
Senior Luke Rassow-Kantor and freshman Chris Freeman lost at the No. 3 position, adding pressure to the No. 2 team to win the doubles point. Senior Michael Dierberger and sophomore Patrick Pohlmann thrived under pressure. The No. 2 duo pulled out a 9-7 victory over Dino Bilankov and Sebastian Gallego, giving Wisconsin a 1-0 advantage over the Golden Gophers.
Wisconsin swept Minnesota in singles, winning the first set in all six positions. Freeman overpowered Bilankov in straight 6-2 sets while No. 28 Marek Michalicka dominated No. 106 Wernet, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 2 flight. Baumann returned to the No. 1 slot to take on Gallego in which he won the first set 6-2 before the match was retired in the second set due to the win.
Freshman Billy Bertha sealed the win for the Badgers with his 6-3, 6-3 victory over Brendan Ruddock.
The Badgers take on Ohio State on Saturday, May 1 at 9 a.m. (CT) in Bloomington, Ind. Wisconsin, who dropped a 4-3 contest to the Buckeyes less than a week ago, seek their first Big Ten tournament title. Last year the Buckeyes shut out the Badgers, 4-0, in a quarterfinal matchup. Wisconsin's last semifinal appearance was in 2008, dropping a 4-1 decision to Illinois.
Check back to UWBadgers.com for continuous Big Ten Tournament coverage.
By Megan S. Kelley
Wisconsin Athletic Communications
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Apr 30, 2010 at Bloomington, Ind.
(IU Tennis Center)
#27 Wisconsin 4, #32 Minnesota 0
1. #22 Moritz Baumann (WIS) vs. #64 Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
2. #28 Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. #106 Tobias Wernet (MINN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Patrick Pohlmann (WIS) vs. Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-1, 2-5, unfinished
4. Chris Freeman (WIS) def. Dino Bilankov (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Luke Rassow-Kantor (WIS) vs. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
6. Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
1. #14 Moritz Baumann/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Julian Dehn/Tobias Wernet (MINN) 8-2
2. Mike Dierberger/Patrick Pohlmann (WIS) def. Dino Bilankov/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 9-7
3. Phillip Arndt/Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Chris Freeman/Luke Rassow-Kantor (WIS) 8-3
Minnesota 13-9; National ranking #32
Wisconsin 18-6; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,6)