April 29, 2011
• Complete Results | Big Ten Tournament Central
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin men’s tennis team wasn’t able to continue its Big Ten Tournament play falling to No. 3 seeded Minnesota on Friday afternoon. The No. 6 seeded Badgers fell in a 4-0 match in the quarterfinal round of the tournament.
The Badgers fell early in the No. 3 doubles match but knotted things up with a win by veteran pair of Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha in the No. 1 doubles spot. Despite are a hard fight in the No. 2 slot, the Badger freshman duo of Fredrik Ask and Rodney Carey fell giving the Gophers the early doubles point.
Minnesota continued their momentum into singles play earning a quick win in the No. 5 singles spot as Brendan Ruddock defeated UW’s Carey, 6-3, 6-3.
Wisconsin freshman Alex Robles was the next Badger to fall as Julian Dehn earned the 6-2, 6-4 win.
The match decision came in the No. 2 singles spot as Rok Bonin defeated Bertha, 6-0, 6-2, to give Minnesota the 4-0 win.
The Badgers will look to extend their season with an NCAA Tournament bid next week. The 2011 NCAA Division I men's selection show will be on www.NCAA.com on Tuesday, May 3 beginning a 4:30 p.m. (CT).
Tennis Match Results
Wisconsin vs Minnesota
Apr 29, 2011 at Madison, Wis.
(Cole Hall Tennis Courts)
#19 Minnesota 4, #71 Wisconsin 0
1. Tobias Wernet (MINN) vs. Marek Michalicka (WIS) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
2. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-0, 6-2
3. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) vs. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) vs. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 3-6, 2-5, unfinished
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Rodney Carey (WIS) 6-3, 6-3
6. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Alex Robles (WIS) 6-2, 6-4
1. Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Phillip Arndt/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 8-4
2. Rok Bonin/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Rodney Carey/Fredrik Ask (WIS) 8-5
3. Tobias Wernet/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Petr Satral/Ricardo Martin (WIS) 8-2
Wisconsin 12-12, 5-5; National ranking #71
Minnesota 17-4, 8-2; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,2)
No. 6 seed Wisconsin vs. No. 3 seed Minnesota
Nos. 3, 1, and 4 singles were abandoned due to match decision
No. 3 seed Minnesota advances to face No. 2 seed Indiana on Saturday