April 28, 2011
• Complete Results | Big Ten Tournament Central | Bracket
MADISON, Wis. – Senior Marek Michalicka (Ricany, Czech Republic) and freshman Fredrik Ask (Oslo, Norway) picked up wins in both singles and doubles play to lead the Badgers to a 4-1 win over No. 11 seed Penn State in the first round of the 2011 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament at Nielsen Tennis Stadium Thursday afternoon.
“The guys competed hard today, and I’m really proud of them,” head coach Greg Van Emburgh said. “We’ll need to use the momentum from today’s match to bring our best tennis into tomorrow’s match against Minnesota.”
The Badgers (12-12, 5-5 Big Ten) used doubles victories at the Nos. 1 and 2 slots to take an early lead over the Nittany Lions. Michalicka teamed with sophomore Billy Bertha (White Fish Bay, Wis.) to defeat Eddie Bourchier and Russell Bader, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles before Ask and fellow rookie Rod Carey (Freeport, Bahamas) secured their own 8-6 win over Jason Lee and Christopher Hasyn at No. 2 doubles. The remaining doubles match was unfinished as Wisconsin clinched the doubles point.
Penn State’s Harry Seaborn defeated redshirt freshman Alex Teppert (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.), 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 singles to even the score at 1-1. However, Wisconsin rattled off three-straight singles wins to clinch the win.
Michalicka topped Bouchier, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1 singles before freshman Petr Satral (Klatovy, Czech Republic) earned a 6-4,6-4 win over Bader.
Ask then secured the victory for Wisconsin, posting a 6-3, 7-6 win over Bryan Welnetz at the No. 4 slot.
With the win, the No. 6 seed Badgers advance to Friday’s quarterfinal round. Wisconsin will face No. 3 seed Minnesota (17-4, 8-2) at 2 p.m. (CT) at the Cole Hall Tennis Courts. In Thursday’s first opening round match, No. 8 seed Michigan State defeated No. 9 Northwestern, 4-2.
Tennis Match Results
Penn State vs. Wisconsin
April 28, 2011 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#71 Wisconsin 4, Penn State 1
1. Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Billy Bertha (WIS) vs. Jason Lee (PSU) 2-6, 6-1, 3-1, unfinished
3. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Russell Bader (PSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Fredrik Ask (WIS) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Rodney Carey (WIS) vs. Christopher Hasyn (PSU) 6-3, 6-6, unfinished
6. Harry Seaborn (PSU) def. Alexander Teppert (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
1. Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Eddie Bourchier/Russell Bader (PSU) 8-6
2. Fredrik Ask/Rodney Carey (WIS) def. Jason Lee/Christopher Hasyn (PSU) 8-6
3. Alexander Teppert/Petr Satral (WIS) def. Bryan Welnetz/Harry Seaborn (PSU) 7-6
Penn State 10-17
Wisconsin 11-12; National ranking #71
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,3,4)
No. 3 doubles and Nos. 2 and 5 singles were unfinished due to match decision
No. 6 seed Wisconsin advances to quarterfinal to face No. 3 Minnesota