April 26, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team lost its opening round match of the 2012 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament to No. 74 Nebraska, 4-0, Thursday at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill.
The Badgers end the season at 12-12 (.500) overall and 4-8 in Big Ten play marking the fifth time in the last six seasons Wisconsin finished with at least a .500 record.
Heading into the tournament the Badgers had won four of their last five matches, including a 4-3 victory at Nebraska last Sunday. UW was swept in doubles in that match, but rallied to win four of the six singles matches.
UW had an opportunity to clinch the doubles point Thursday against the Cornhuskers, but was unable to convert. Wisconsin went down early after Nebraska’s Benedikt Lindheim and Robert Schulze defeated Alexander Kostanov and Quinton Vega, 8-5.
Soon after, Rod Carey and Petr Satral evened the doubles with an 8-6 win over Chris Aumueller and Stefan Gollner.
With doubles tied 1-1, Wisconsin had its strongest doubles team, No. 34 Billy Bertha and Fredrik Ask, still on the court. Bertha and Ask faced No. 72 Andre Stenger and Eric Sock, in a rematch of last weekend. Similar to last time the UW pair was not able to come through, losing, 8-6, in the doubles point deciding match.
After dropping doubles, Wisconsin failed to get off to a fast start in singles. UW dropped four of the six first sets.
Nebraska earned its second point after Lindheim scored a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Carey. It was a big momentum win for Nebraska after Carey defeated Lindheim, 6-3, 6-0, last Sunday.
Vega was the next Badger to fall. He lost his match 6-3, 6-3 to Stenger.
The Cornhuskers then clinched the match when No. 1 singles player Aumueller defeated Ask, 6-2, 6-2, to give Nebraska the victory and end Wisconsin’s season.
No. 74 Nebraska 4 Wisconsin 0
1. #76 Chris Aumueller (NEB) def. Fredrik Ask (WISC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) def. Rod Carey (WISC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Petr Satral (WISC) vs. Robert Schulze (NEB) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
4. Andre Stenger (NEB) def. Quinton Vega (WISC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alexander Kostanov (WISC) vs. Tom Blackwell (NEB) 2-6, 5-2, unfinished
6. Billy Bertha (WISC) vs. Eric Sock (NEB) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1
1. #72 Andre Stenger/Eric Sock (NEB) def. #34 Billy Bertha/Fredrik Ask (WISC) 8-6
2. Benedikt Lindheim/Robert Schulze (NEB) def. Alexander Kostanov/Quinton Vega (WISC) 8-5
3. Rod Carey/Petr Satral (WISC) def. Chris Aumueller/Stefan Gollner (NEB) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1