April 25, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – Despite defeating Purdue in regular season play, the eighth seeded Badgers fell, 4-0, to the No. 9 seed Boilermakers in Columbus, Ohio, Friday at the Big Ten tournament.
Usually strong in doubles play, No. 59 Wisconsin (13-12 overall, 4-7 Big Ten) quickly fell as No. 70 Purdue (17-11, 3-8) grabbed the point with two quick victories.
The morning began as Petr Satral and Jakhongir Jalalov fell, 8-1, to Pawel Poziomski and Mark Kovacs at court three.
In a battle between the two ranked doubles teams at court one, No. 89 Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko came out ahead in an 8-4 victory over No. 78 Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov.
With the doubles point decided in favor of Purdue, play was called at court two, where Alexander Kokorev and Oskar Wikberg were trailing, 5-4, in a close match against Aaron Dujovne and Diego Accosta.
Singles action began with Purdue picking up its second point of the day as Mateus Silva defeated Kokorev, 6-3, 6-1, at court six.
Purdue grabbed its third point with Dujovne’s 6-3, 6-1 win over Bertha, marking Bertha’s first loss at court four this season.
At court one, Satral took four games in the first set, but ultimately fell, 6-4, 6-2 to Tatarczyk, clinching the 4-0 victory for the Boilermakers.
With the match determined, play was called at the remaining three courts.
Wisconsin’s post season fate awaits the seeding announcement for the NCCA tournament, taking place May 16-27 in Urbana, Ill.
PURDUE 4 WISCONSIN 0
1. #89 Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. #78 Alexander Kostanov/Billy Bertha (WIS) 8-4
2. Alexander Kokorev/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) vs. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Accosta (PUR) 4-5, unfinished
3. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Petr Satral/Jakhongir Jalaov (WIS) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Mark Kovacs (PUR) 3-6, 6-2, unfinished
3. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) vs. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jakhongir Jalaov (WIS) vs. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1