April 24, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich.
-- The 2014 season came to a close Thursday afternoon for the Wisconsin men’s tennis team, falling 4-0 to No. 43 Michigan in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament.
Wisconsin and Michigan met just two weeks ago in Madison with the Wolverines claiming a narrow 4-3 victory. In the rematch at host Michigan State, the Badgers (9-16, 1-10) never quite found their footing.
The Badgers got behind early as the No. 2 doubles combo of Michael Sinha and Elliott Sprecher dropped an 8-3 decision to Shaun Bernstein and Kevin Wong. At No. 3 doubles, John Zordani and Frederik Strabo were finished off 8-1 by Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu to clinch the opening point.
UW’s No. 1 duo of Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev were hanging tough with the Wolverines 32nd-ranked team of Alex Buzzi and Barrett Franks before the match ended unfinished. The match was tied 3-3 early, but was stopped with Buzzi and Franks ahead 6-3.
In singles action, Satral was defeated 6-0, 6-3 by Petrone on court 1 while Kokorev was topped by Justin Rossi, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.
Freshman John Zordani’s 6-1, 6-3 defeat at the hands of Kevin Wong at No. 6 singles provided the match clinching point for Michigan.
Michael Sinha was the only Badger to claim a set Thursday, holding a 6-4, 1-0 lead before his match with Alex Buzzi went unfinished.
MICHIGAN 4 WISCONSIN 0
1. Buzzi/Franks (UM) vs. Kokorev/Satral (UW) 6-3, unfinished
2. Bernstein/Wong (UM) def. Sinha/Sprecher (UW) 8-3
3. Petrone/Zhu (UM) def. Zordani/Strabo (UW) 8-1
Order of Finish: (3, 2)
1. Alex Petrone (UM) def. Petr Satral (UW) 6-0, 6-3
2. Justin Rossi (UM) def. Alexander Kokorev (UW) 6-4, 6-0
3. Vlad Stefan (UM) vs. Elliott Sprecher (UW), 7-6, unfinished
4. Michael Sinha (UW) vs. Alex Buzzi (UM), 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
5. Barrett Franks (UM) vs. Frederik Strabo (UM), 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
6. Kevin Wong (UM) def. John Zordani (UW) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 6)