April 24, 2011
• Complete Results
URBANA, Ill. – The No. 71 Wisconsin men’s tennis team (11-12, 5-5 Big Ten) was unable to pull off an upset over No. 18 Illinois (15-9, 7-3 Big Ten), falling 7-0 in its final regular season match of the 2011 season at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex Sunday afternoon.
Despite Illinois taking the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and 3 doubles, the Badgers earned their lone win of the day in the No. 1 doubles slot as senior Marek Michalicka and sophomore Billy Bertha posted an 8-6 victory over Abe Souza and Stephen Hoh. With the win, the Badger duo improved to 16-5 this spring.
Led by No. 10 Dennis Nevolo, the Fighting Illini fielded three nationally ranked players. Michalicka fell, 6-4, 6-3 to Nevolo at No. 1 singles to finish the regular season with a 16-6 singles mark – one of the best singles records in the Big Ten Conference.
At No. 4 singles, freshman Petr Satral took No. 98 Johnny Hamui to three sets but ultimately fell, 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-1).
Roy Kalmanovich clinched the victory for the Illini with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Fredrik Ask at No. 3 singles.
Wisconsin returns to Madison to host the 2011 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament at Nielsen Tennis Stadium this week. Opening-round action kicks off on Thursday with the championship match set for Sunday at noon (CT). The sixth-seeded Badgers take on No. 11 seed Penn State at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
#18 Illinois 7, #71 Wisconsin 0
1. #10 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. #55 Marek Michalicka (WIS) 6-4, 6-3
2. KU Singh (ILL) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-4, 6-0
3. Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 6-3, 6-0
4. #98 Johnny Hamui (ILL) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-1)
5. #74 Abe Souza (ILL) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS) 6-2, 6-2
6. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Rod Carey (WIS) 6-4, 6-3
1. Marek Michalicka/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Abe Souza/Stephen Hoh (ILL) 8-6
2. Brian Alden/Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Rod Carey/Fredrik Ask (WIS) 8-1
3. KU Singh/Johnny Hamui (ILL) def. Petr Satral/Ricardo Martin (WIS) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,3,1,4,6)