April 20, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – Despite a dominating doubles match by No. 88 Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov, No. 69 Wisconsin fell, 4-0, to No. 27 Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday.
The Badgers (12-11 overall) got off to a strong start in doubles play, but couldn’t keep up the momentum, splitting matches before dropping the point, 2-1, to Drake (21-2).
At court one, No. 88 Bertha and Kostanov swiftly defeated Jean Erasmus and Alen Salibasic, 8-2.
Drake quickly countered as Jakhongir Jalalov and Petr Satral fell, 8-2, to Anis Ghorbel and Robin Goodman at court three.
With the matches split, the doubles point came down to court two. Alexander Kokorev and Oskar Wikberg came close to a win for Wisconsin, but couldn’t defeat Ben Lott and James McKie, falling, 9-7, to clinch the doubles point for Drake.
Singles play began with Jalalov falling, 6-4, 6-1 to Jean Erasmus at court five to give Drake the 2-0 lead.
At court six, Kokorev was the next to finish, falling, 6-1, 6-3 to Ben Mullis.
Satral fought through a close first set, taking it to a tiebreak but ultimately falling, 7-6 (9) to No. 60 Anis Ghorbel. Drake clinched the match as Ghorbel defeated Satral, 6-2 in the second set.
With the match clinched, play was called, solidifying the 4-0 victory for Drake.
Wisconsin concludes regular season action at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Sunday at 1 p.m. against No. 62 Nebraska. The match will celebrate Senior Day as Bertha and Kostanov compete in their final home matches.
DRAKE 4 WISCONSIN 0
1. No. 60 Anis Ghorbel (DU) def. Petr Satral (WIS), 7-6 (9), 6-2
2. James McKie (DU) leading Alexander Kostanov (WIS), 4-6, 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
3. No. 111 Robin Goodman (DU) leading Oskar Wikberg (WIS), 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
4. Alen Salibasic (DU) leading Billy Bertha (WIS), 3-6, 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
5. Jean Erasmus (DU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS), 6-4, 6-1
6. Ben Mullis (DU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS), 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 6, 1
1. No. 88 Bertha/Kostanov (WIS) def. Erasmus/Salibasic (DU), 8-2
2. Ben Lott/McKie (DU) def. Kokorev/Wikberg (WIS), 9-7
3. Ghorbel/Goodman (DU) def. Jalalov/Satral (WIS), 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2