April 15, 2012
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 31 Indiana (17-8, 5-4) at the IU Tennis Center in Bloomington on Sunday.
The loss halts a two-match winning streak for UW (10-11, 2-7) in Big Ten play that included wins over Penn State and Purdue.
Will Kendall and Stephen Vogl defeated Rod Carey and Petr Satral, 8-3, to give the Hoosiers the early lead in doubles.
At No. 1 doubles, Fredrik Ask and Billy Bertha continued to play well in their first weekend playing together after two weekends apart. The pair topped No. 56 Isade Juneau and Jeremy Langer, 8-5.
The doubles point came down to No. 2 doubles, but Alexander Kostanov and Alex Robles could not come up with the points they needed to defeat Alastair Barnes and Josh MacTaggart. The UW duo lost 8-3.
Taking a 1-0 lead into singles, IU quickly made it 3-0 when MacTaggart defeated Ask, 6-0, 6-1 and Vogl handled Kostanov, 6-1, 6-3.
Indiana clinched the match when Jeneau defeated Carey. Carey lost the first set 6-1, but picked up his play in the second to force the set into a tiebreaker, though he lost, 8-6.
At No. 5 singles, Kendall earned a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Satral.
Bertha and Quinton Vega were the only Badgers to earn singles victories Sunday. Vega scored a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Langer at No. 3 singles, while Bertha topped Dimitrije Tasic 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, but the Badger charge was too little, too late.
Next weekend the Badgers play their last home match of the season against Iowa at 4 p.m. on Friday, April 20. UW then travels to Lincoln to close out the regular season against Nebraska on Sunday, April 22, at noon.
#31 Indiana 5 Wisconsin 2
1) Isade Juneau (IND) def. Rod Carey (WIS) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
2) Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 6-0, 6-1
3) Quinton Vega (WIS) def. Jeremy Langer (IND) 7-5, 6-4
4) Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 6-1, 6-3
5) Will Kendall (IND) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-3, 7-5
6) Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 6
1) #29 Fredrik Ask/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. #56 Isade Juneau/Jeremy Langer (IND) 8-5
2) Alastair Barnes/Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. Alexander Kostanov/Alex Robles (WIS) 8-3
3) Will Kendall/Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Rod Carey/Petr Satral (WIS) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2