April 14, 2012
MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin men's tennis team earned its first win over a ranked opponent Saturday against No. 74 Purdue, 4-3, at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind.
It was the first Big Ten road victory for the Badgers (10-10, 2-6), who have now won back-to-back matches after their victory over Penn State last weekend.
Purdue took the early advantage in doubles after Szymon Tatarczyk and Krisztian Krocsko defeated Alex Robles and Rod Carey, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles. The Boilermakers then clinched the doubles point when Pawel Poziomski and Mark Kovacs topped Alexander Kostanov and Petr Satral, 8-6.
The match marked the reuniting of the No. 29 doubles team of Billy Bertha and Fredrik Ask. The pair had not played together for the past two weekends, but they picked up right where they left off by defeating Aaron Dujovne and Diego Acosta, 8-5.
In singles, Purdue took a 2-0 lead after Kovacs defeated Ask, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1 singles. Satral answered back for UW and put the Badgers on the board with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Krocsko.
The Boilermakers regained momentum and took a 3-1 match lead when Acosta topped Quinton Vega, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3 singles.
Down 3-1, Kostanov led the rally charge for the Badgers with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) win over Dujovne. Carey then tied the match at 3-3 with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Tatarczyk at No. 2 singles.
The deciding match was between Evan Hawkins and Bertha. Bertha, UW's captain, dropped the first set in a tiebreaker, but fought back to win the second and third set handily, 6-2, 6-4.
Wisconsin looks to extend its win streak to three against Indiana Sunday. Play begins at 11 a.m. at the IU Tennis Center.
Wisconsin 4, #74 Purdue 3
1. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
2. Rod Carey (WIS) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-4, 7-5
3. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Quinton Vega (WIS) 6-3, 6-2
4. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Evan Hawkins (PUR) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6
1. #29 Fredrik Ask/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PUR) 8-5
2. Szymon Tatarczyk/Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Alex Robles/Rod Carey (WIS) 8-5
3. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Alexander Kostanov/Petr Satral (WIS) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1