April 10, 2011
• Complete Results
MADISON, Wis. - Despite a close battle, the Wisconsin men's tennis team wasn't able to make its third straight upset falling to No. 27 Indiana on Sunday. The Badgers fell 4-3 in the match, bringing their record to 9-10 and 3-3 in Big Ten play.
Wisconsin earned the early doubles point for a 1-0 advantage early in the match with wins from No. 70-ranked duo of Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha in the No. 1 doubles position and from the freshman pair of Fredrik Ask and Rod Carey in the No. 3 slot.
The early lead ended shortly as Wisconsin fell in its first three singles matches in the Nos. 6, 3 and 5 singles slots. The losses put Indiana up 3-1 bringing the decision down to the final three matches.
No. 70-ranked Michalicka extended his four-match winning streak, defeating Indiana's Jeremy Langer for Wisconsin's first singles win of the day. Michalicka and Langer battled it out in a tough first set, but Michalicka outlived the Hoosier taking the 7-6 (5) win, and the easy 6-1 second set win.
Bertha also found himself in a three-set fight against his Hoosier opponent, but couldn't finish things off as he fell to Santiago Gruter, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1. Bertha's loss gave Indiana the match win, 4-2.
Despite the match decision, Ask continued his close match against Indiana's Claes Goransson. After falling in his first set, Ask came back for a 6-4 second set win to take the match to a third set. The two players battled back-and-forth with Ask finally coming out on top in a tie-break decision, 7-6 (6).
Wisconsin will finish its homestand next weekend, taking on the No. 3 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes on Friday, April 15, and Penn State on Sunday, April 17. Match times are set for 2 p.m. on Friday and noon on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 10, 2011 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#27 Indiana 4, Wisconsin 3
1. #70 Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Jeremy Langer (IND) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
2. Santiago Gruter (IND) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
3. #109 Josh MacTaggart (IND) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-1, 6-2
4. Fredrik Ask (WIS) def. Claes Goransson (IND) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Isade Juneau (IND) def. Rodney Carey (WIS) 7-5, 7-5
6. Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Alex Robles (WIS) 6-1, 6-2
1. #70 Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. #50 Jeremy Langer/Santiago Gruter (IND) 8-6
2. #81 Josh MacTaggart/Stephen Vogl (IND) def. Petr Satral/Ricardo Martin (WIS) 8-3
3. Fredrik Ask/Rodney Carey (WIS) def. Dimitrige Tasic/Isade Juneau (IND) 8-5
Indiana 19-4, 6-0; National ranking #27
Wisconsin 9-9, 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,5,1,2,4)
UW Athletic Communications