April 9, 2011
• Complete Results
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team started off its four match home swing on a positive note upsetting No. 60 Purdue in a close 4-3 match. The win improves the Badger’s record to an even 9-9 and 3-2 in Big Ten play.
Wisconsin grabbed the early doubles point which ended up being the decision maker in the match as the two teams split the singles results.
No. 78 ranked duo of Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha continued their winning ways with an 8-3 win over Purdue’s Krocsko and Ramos for their 12th win of the season. Wisconsin’s freshman pairing of Rod Carey and Fredik Ask followed suite taking the 8-6 win in the No. 3 doubles slot to give UW the doubles point.
The Badgers fell in the Nos. 3, 5, and 6 singles spots to give Purdue the 3-1 lead but UW didn’t give up winning the last three matches for the Badger upset.
Wisconsin senior captain Michalicka earned an easy win in the No. 1 spot defeating Purdue’s Tatarczyk 6-2, 6-1. The win marked Michalicka’s 13th of the season as the No. 70th-ranked Badger improves his record to a team-high 13-4 on the season.
Bertha and Petr Satral finished off the match for Wisconsin in the Nos. 2 and 4 spots, respectively, to give the Badgers the 4-3 win.
Bertha easily defeated Kroscko 6-2 in the first set but was tested in a close second set. The Badger sophomore came out on top with a 7-6 win.
Satral was pushed to a third set against his Boilermaker opponent as each player took a 6-2 win. Satral earned the 7-5 third set win to close out the match.
Wisconsin looks for its second upset this weekend hosting No. 29 Indiana on Sunday. Match time is set for noon (CT) at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Tennis Match Results
April 8, 2011 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
Wisconsin 4, #60 Purdue 3
1. #70 Marek Michalicka (UW) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-2, 6-1
2. Billy Bertha (UW) def. Krisztian Kroscko (PUR) 6-2, 7-6
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Ricardo Martin (UW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Petr Satral (UW) def. Eric Ramos (PUR) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Fredik Ask (UW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Rod Carey (UW) 6-2, 6-7, 6-7
1. #78 Michalicka/Bertha (UW) def. Krocsko/Ramos (PUR) 8-3
2. Tatarczyk/Poziomski (PUR) def. Satral/Martin (UW) 9-8
3. Carey/Ask (UW) def. Dujovne/Kovacs (PUR) 8-6
UW Athletic Communications