April 5, 2013
Box Score PDF
MADISON, Wis. - Finding themselves up against a national powerhouse, the Badgers' midseason slump continued Friday night as they fell, 7-0, to No. 5 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio.
Wisconsin (10-8 overall, 1-5 Big Ten) dropped just its fifth doubles point of the season in its 3-0 defeat by Ohio State (22-2, 6-0).
In his doubles debut, Frederik Strabo paired with Alexander Kostanov at court three, taking on No. 57 Blaz Rola and Kevin Metka. Strabo and Kostanov were impressive for a new pairing, but ultimately fell, 8-3, to Rola and Metka.
The Buckeyes clinched the doubles point at court two, where Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov dropped their match, 8-1, to No. 27 Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen.
Playing at the No. 1 court for the first time this season, Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral came close to a win, but couldn't quite beat the Buckeyes, falling, 8-6, to No. 13 Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith.
In singles play, Strabo was the first to finish, falling 6-1, 6-0 to Constantin Christ.
Ohio State improved its lead to 3-0 at the No. 2 court where No. 13 Rola defeated Kostanov, 6-2, 6-3.
The Buckeyes clinched their victory at court five as Kokorev dropped his match 6-4, 6-2 to Hunter Callahan.
Showing his strength at court one, Satral put up a fight against Kobelt, the No. 4 player in the nation, before ultimately falling 6-3, 6-4.
The Badgers gave the Buckeyes their sixth point of the day at court four where Jalalov dropped his match, 6-4, 6-2 to Van Engelen.
Wisconsin tried to avoid the sweep at court three as Wikberg took on No. 83 Devin McCarthy. Wikberg fought for a win until the end, but McCarthy solidified the sweep for the Buckeyes, defeating Wikberg 6-3, 6-4.
The Badgers' Big Ten road trip continues on Sunday as they travel to University Park, Penn., to play Penn State at 10 a.m.
OHIO STATE 7 WISCONSIN 0
1) #13 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS): 8-6
2) #27 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 8-1
3) #57 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Frederik Strabo/Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 8-3
Order of Completion: 3, 2, 1
1) #4 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 6-3, 6-4
2) #13 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-2, 6-3
3) #83 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-3, 6-4
4) Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
5) Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) 6-4, 6-2
6) Constantin Chris (OSU) def. Frederik Strabo (WIS): 6-1, 6-0
Order of Completion: 6, 2, 5, 1, 4, 3