April 4, 2014
MADISON, Wis. -- Despite several close matches and overall strong play, No. 70 Wisconsin fell to No. 24 Penn State on Friday at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
UW was unable to secure the doubles point against the Nittany Lions.
Sophomores Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov battled No. 28 ranked Russel Bader and Leonard Stakhovsky, but weren’t able to come up with the win, falling 8-5.
At No. 2 doubles, senior Petr Satral and sophomore Alexander Kokorev put up a fight against 54th-ranked Michael Reilly and Chris Young, but ultimately ended up falling, 8-4.
The duo of junior Michael Sinha and freshman Elliott Sprecher weren’t able to claim their match against Roman Trkulja and Matt Barry, which ended with a final decision of 8-3.
In singles action, Sinha claimed his match against Reilly at No. 6, with a final score of 6-3, 6-3.
Wikberg came up with a win over No. 50 ranked Stakhovsky at the No. 1 spot, with a final score of 6-4, 6-2.
At No. 2 singles, Kokorev fell to Bader, with a final decision of 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
Satral came up short against Fennell after claiming his first set. The match resulted in a final score of 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Jalalov was defeated by Barry with a final decision of, 6-2, 6-4.
Sprecher was unable to gain momentum in his match at No. 5 singles, falling 6-3, 6-1 to Trkulja.
The Badgers will host No. 1 Ohio State on Sunday at noon.
PENN STATE 5 WISCONSIN 2
1. No. 28 Badger/Stakhovsky (PSU) def. Wikberg/Jalalov (UW) 8-5
2. No. 54 Reilly/Young (PSU) def. Kokorev/Satral (UW) 8-4
3. Trkulja/Barry (PSU) def. Sprecher/Sinha (UW) 8-3
1. Oskar Wikberg (UW) def. No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Russel Badger (PSU) def. Alexander Kokorev (UW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alex Fennell (PSU) def. Petr Satral (UW) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) 6-2, 6-4
5. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Elliott Sprecher (UW) 6-3, 6-1
6. Michael Sinha (UW) def. Michael Reilly (PSU) 6-3, 6-3