April 1, 2012
MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin men's tennis team lost its second match of the weekend, 6-1, to No. 53 Northwestern (11-6, 4-1) Sunday afternoon. UW trailed the entire match, which was held at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
The Badgers, who lost to No. 17 Illinois, 6-1, on Friday night, are now on a four-match losing skid, all to Big Ten opponents, dropping their overall record to 8-9 and their Big Ten record to 0-5.
UW stayed with the same doubles lineup that was unveiled Friday against Illinois, but was not able to find the same success.
Rod Carey and Fredrik Ask gave the Badgers the early advantage in doubles with their 8-4 victory over Alex Pasareanu and Raleigh Smith, but Northwestern's Josh Graves and Spencer Wolf evened the doubles matches with an 8-5 victory over Petr Satral and Alexander Kostanov at No. 1 doubles.
The doubles point came down to No. 3 doubles. Billy Bertha and Alex Robles lost to Tobias Reitz and Sidarth Balaji, 9-8 (10-7), giving the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.
In singles, Chris Jackman defeated Andy Quirk at No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-2, and Balaji handled Kostanov, 6-1, 6-4, extending Northwestern's lead to 3-0.
Satral stopped the Northwestern run and earned his first Big Ten win of the season with a dominating, 6-0, 6-4, victory over Smith.
Wisconsin lost the remaining three matches in three-sets.
Northwestern clinched the match when Carey fell to Wolf, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. Quinton Vega then lost his third-set in a match tiebreaker, losing 7-5, 6-7 (8-6), 1-0 (10-8) to Pasareanu.
The last match on the court, Ask evened things up in the second set after losing the first, but he ultimately fell, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-2.
Three-set matches continue to be the Badgers' Achilles' heel this season, especially in Big Ten play. UW has now gone 2-for-11 in three-set matches during its five Big Ten matches this season.
Wisconsin returns to the Nielsen Tennis Stadium next weekend to take on No. 2 Ohio State on Friday, April 6, and Penn State on Sunday, April 8. Play begins against the Buckeyes at 2 p.m. and at noon against the Nittany Lions.
Northwestern 6 Wisconsin 1
1. Josh Graves (NU) def. Fredrik Ask (WISC): 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-2
2. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Rod Carey (WISC): 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
3. Petr Satral (WISC) def. Raleigh Smith (NU): 6-0, 6-4
4. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WISC): 6-1, 6-4
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Quinton Vega (WISC): 7-5, 6-7 (8-6), 1-0 (10-8)
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Andy Quirk (WISC): 6-1, 6-2
1. Josh Graves/Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WISC): 8-5
2. Rod Carey/Fredrik Ask (WISC) def. Alex Pasareanu/Raleigh Smith (NU): 8-4
3. Tobias Reitz/Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Alex Robles/Billy Bertha (WISC): 9-8 (9-7)