March 31, 2013
PDF Box Score
MADISON, Wis. -- The No. 70 Badgers impressed in doubles play, but ultimately fell, 5-2, to No. 26 Northwestern, on Sunday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Wisconsin (10-7 overall, 1-4 Big Ten) earned its 12th doubles point of the season with its 2-1 victory over Northwestern (17-5 overall, 3-2 Big Ten).
Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov defeated Sidarth Balaji and Raleigh Smith, 8-5, at court one to give the Badgers their first match of the day.
Wisconsin went on to clinch the doubles point at court three with Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg’s 8-5 victory over Fedor Baev and Alex Pasareanu.
Northwestern wouldn’t take the sweep, closing out doubles play with an 8-6 victory by Mihir Kumar and Spencer Wolf over Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral.
The Badgers’ lead didn’t last long, as the Wildcats evened up the score at court four when Kumar defeated Kokorev, 6-2, 6-1.
At court three, Wikberg fell 6-2, 6-3 to Balaji, giving Northwestern the lead. Next to finish was Kostanov, who fell 6-1, 6-1 to Smith at court two.
The Wildcats solidified the victory at court six as Frederik Strabo made his second appearance of the season, dropping the match 6-3, 6-4 to Chris Jackman.
Petr Satral challenged Wolf at court one, but eventually fell 6-3, 6-4, giving Northwestern a 5-1 lead.
Determined to avoid a sweep in singles play, Jalalov fought through a close match against Pasareanu at court five. Jalalov defeated Pasareanu, 6-2, in the first set but fell in the second, 6-3, sending the match into a 10-point tiebreak third set. The tiebreak went back-and-forth until Jalalov was able to pull ahead and take the final three points for a 10-8 victory.
Wisconsin faces its second road trip of the season next weekend as the Badgers take on No. 7 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday, April 5, at 1 p.m. The road trip continues at Penn State on Sunday, April 7, at 10 a.m. in University Park, Penn.
NORTHWESTERN 5 WISCONSIN 2
1) Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Sidarth Balaji/Raleigh Smith (NU): 8-5
2) Mihir Kumar/Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 8-6
3) Oskar Wikberg/Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Fedor Baev/Alex Pasareanu (NU): 8-5
Order of Completion: 1, 3, 2
1) Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 6-3, 6-4
2) Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-1, 6-1
3) Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-2, 6-3
4) Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 6-2, 6-1
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU): 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6) Chris Jackman (NU) def. Frederik Strabo (WIS): 6-3, 6-4
Order of Completion: 4, 3, 2, 6, 1, 5