March 30, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team (8-8, 0-4) started this weekend’s two-match road trip with a 6-1 loss to No. 17 Illinois (10-3, 4-0) Friday at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex in Champaign, Ill.
The Badgers broke up the pair of Billy Bertha and Fredrik Ask for the first time this season, but were still able to clinch the doubles point for the 12th time out of attempts this season.
Bertha paired with Alex Robles to earn the first doubles victory for the Badgers with an 8-2 win over Farris Gosea and Stephen Hoh. At No. 2 Ask and Rod Carey defeated Tim Kopinski and Ross Guignon, 8-4, to clinch the doubles point.
Petr Satral and Alexander Kostanov had their four-match win streak snapped after an 8-4 loss to No. 45 Dennis Nevolo and Roy Kalmanovich.
In singles, UW was swept for the second match in a row. No. 31 Kalmanovich evened the match for the Illini with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles over Ask. The Fighting Illini kept the momentum after another quick win when Nevolo defated Carey, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 2 singles.
Robles was inserted into the singles lineup for the first time since March 22 against UIC, but fell to Gosea, 6-3, 6-2. At No. 5 singles Bertha fell to Kopinski, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) and Satral lost 7-5, 6-1 to Bruno Abdelnour.
Kostanov was the only Badger not to fall in two-sets. After dropping the first, he rebounded to win the second set, 6-2, but in the third he could not maintain his strong play and fell to Hoh, 6-0, 2-6, 6-2, completing the sweep for Illinois.
The Badgers are back in action Sunday against Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., at the Combe Tennis Center. Play begins against the Wildcats at noon.
1. #31 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS): 6-1, 6-2
2. #4 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Rod Carey (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
3. Stephen Hoh (ILL) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
4. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 7-5, 6-1
5. Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Farris Gosea (ILL) def. Alex Robles (WIS): 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3
1. #45 Roy Kalmanovich/Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 8-4
2. Fredrik Ask/Rod Carey (WIS) def. Tim Kopinski/Ross Guignon (ILL): 8-4
3. Billy Bertha/Alex Robles (WIS) def. Farris Gosea/Stephen Hoh (ILL): 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1