March 29, 2013
Box Score PDF
MADISON, Wis. – No. 70 Wisconsin fell, 6-1, to No. 19 Illinois at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Friday in a duel highlighted by a doubles victory for the Badgers.
The Badgers (10-6 overall, 1-3 Big Ten) started off the day showing their strength in doubles action against Illinois (10-6 overall, 4-0 Big Ten). At the No. 3 court, Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg were relentless, defeating Bruno Abdelnour and Farris Gosea, 8-2.
Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov faced No. 22 nationally ranked duo Ross Guignon and Tim Kopinski at court one. In a match filled with ties and lead changes, Bertha and Kostanov pulled ahead when it mattered most, taking the final two games to win the match, 8-6.
With Wisconsin’s doubles point clinched, the match was called at court two, where Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral were tied, 6-6, against Jared Hiltzik and Alex Jesse.
Illinois was quick to tie the score, 1-1, with a win at court six to begin singles play where Kokorev was no match for Gosea, falling 6-2, 6-1.
The Fighting Illini grabbed the lead as Bertha retired from his match while trailing Kopinski, 7-5, 2-1. Illinois earned its third point of the day at court five when Jalalov suffered a 6-2, 6-1 loss to Guignon.
Trailing 3-1, Wisconsin needed victories from its remaining three courts in order to earn the win. A 6-4, 6-4 loss by Wikberg to Stephen Hoh at court four clinched the victory for Illinois.
At court No. 1, Satral faced No. 42 nationally ranked Hiltzik. Despite an impressive 6-4 first set victory, Satral couldn’t hold on to his lead and fell 7-5, 6-1 in the remaining two sets against Hiltzik.
The Fighting Illini solidified their 6-1 victory at court three. Kostanov dropped the first set against Abdelnour, but came back to take the second set 6-4, forcing a 10-point tiebreaker third set. Trailing early, Kostanov fought back to tie the score at 9-9, but lost the next two points, giving Abdelnour an 11-9 victory.
Wisconsin returns to Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Sunday at noon as it continues Big Ten action against No. 26 Northwestern.
ILLINOIS 6 WISCONSIN 1
1) Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. No. 22 Ross Guignon/Tim Kopinski (ILL): 8-6
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) vs. Jared Kiltzik/Alex Jesse (ILL): 6-6, unfinished
3) Oskar Wikberg/Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Bruno Abdelnour/Farris Gosea (ILL):8-2
Order of Completion: 3, 1
1) No. 42 Jared Hiltzik (ILL) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2) Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 7-5, 2-1, retired
3) Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4) Stephen Hoh (ILL ) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-4, 6-4
5) Ross Guignon (ILL) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 6-2, 6-1
6) Farris Gosea (ILL) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 6-2, 6-1
Order of Completion: 6, 2, 5, 4, 1, 3