March 27, 2011
• Complete Results
MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin men's tennis team earned its first Big Ten win of the season, and first win over a ranked opponent, in a close 4-3 battle with No. 70 Northwestern on Sunday afternoon. The match decision came down to a third-set match in the No. 1 singles spot as No. 72-ranked Marek Michalicka fought off the Wildcat's No. 114-ranked Joshua Graves to take the win for the Badgers.
Northwestern earned the early doubles point after taking all three matches from Wisconsin to go up 1-0. The Wildcat's Spencer Wolf pushed the lead to 2-0 after defeating Ricardo Martin in the No. 2 singles spot, but Billy Bertha brought the Badgers back with a 6-3, 6-2 win in the No. 3 slot.
The two teams fought back-and-forth with the final four matches each reaching a third set. Wisconsin found another loss in the No. 4 spot but Petr Satral and Fredrik Ask tied up the match with wins in the Nos. 5 and 6 singles spot, respectively.
The 3-3 tie brought the match decision down to a third-set match in the No. 1 singles spot between each teams' lone ranked players. Badger senior captain Michalicka pulled ahead in the third set in a 6-2 victory for the 4-3 Wisconsin win.
Wisconsin will continue Big Ten play on the road next weekend taking on No. 18 Michigan on Saturday, April 2, and No. 44 Michigan State on Sunday, April 3. Match times are set for 11 a.m. (CT) on both days.
Tennis Match Results
Mar 27, 2011 at MADISON, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
Wisconsin 4, #70 Northwestern 3
1. #72 Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. #114 Joshua Graves (NU) 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
2. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS) 6-3, 6-2
3. Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Andrew McCarthy (NU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Tobias Reitz (NU) def. Rodney Carey (WIS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Chris Jackman (NU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Fredrik Ask (WIS) def. Raleigh Smith (NU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
1. Joshua Graves/Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Marek Michalicka/Ricardo Martin (WIS) 9-7
2. Andrew McCarthy/Tobias Reitz (NU) def. Fredrik Ask/Petr Satral (WIS) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Chris Jackman/Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Billy Bertha/Rodney Carey (WIS) 9-8 (7-2)
Northwestern 8-5; National ranking #70
Wisconsin 6-8, 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,5,6,1)
UW Athletic Communications