March 26, 2013
MADISON, Wis. –No. 70 Wisconsin completed its non-conference schedule on Tuesday in Raleigh, N.C., falling 7-0 to No. 38 North Carolina State.
Usually strong in doubles action, the Badgers (10-5 overall, 1-2 Big Ten) dropped the doubles point, 2-1 to North Carolina State (10-6 overall).
At the No. 1 court, Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov came close to a victory, but ultimately fell, 8-5, to the No. 17 nationally ranked duo Dave Thomson and Sean Weber.
The Wolfpack clinched the doubles point with Robbie Mudge and Thomas Weigel’s 8-2 defeat of Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev. The match marked Satral and Kostanov’s first loss of the season.
Determined to avoid the doubles sweep, Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg took their match, 8-4, against Beck Bond and Austin Powell at court three.
North Carolina State took its momentum into singles play, sweeping the remaining six matches. First to finish was court four, where Wikberg fell 6-2, 6-3 to Thomson.
Kokorev followed soon after, fighting to a first set tiebreak in his 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 loss to Rafael Paez.
North Carolina State clinched the victory at court five as Bond defeated Jalalov, 6-4, 6-2.
Bertha gave the Badgers glimpses of hope with two close sets at court one, but ultimately fell to Mudge, 6-4, 7-5.
No. 2 Satral started off the match strong, taking the first set, 6-4 against Powell. Powell fought back and took the remaining two sets, 6-1, 6-2, giving the Wolfpack a 6-0 lead.
At court three, Kostanov battled to avoid a sweep with a tough match against Weigel. The pair took the first set to a tiebreak before Kostanov came out ahead, 7-6 (7-3). Weigel didn’t stay behind for long, taking the second set, 7-5. With the sets split, the duo faced a 10-point tiebreaker third set, where Weigel defeated Kostanov, 10-8, giving the Wolfpack the 7-0 sweep.
The Badgers continue Big Ten play this weekend with matches against No. 19 Illinois and No. 26 Northwestern. Wisconsin hosts Illinois on Friday at 6 p.m. and Northwestern on Sunday at noon.
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 7 WISCONSIN 0
1) #12 Dave Thomson/Sean Weber (NC State) def. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 8-5
2) Robbie Mudge/Thomas Weigel (NC State) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 8-2
3) Oskar Wikberg/Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (NC State): 8-4
Order of Completion: Doubles – 1, 2, 3
1) Robbie Mudge (NC State) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-4, 7-5
2) Austin Powell (NC State) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3) Thomas Weigel (NC State) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
4) Dave Thomson (NC State) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-2, 6-3
5) Beck Bond (NC State) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
6) Rafael Paez (NC State) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
Order of Completion: Singles – 4, 6, 5, 1, 2, 3