March 24, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – No. 64 Wisconsin closed out the weekend on Sunday with a tough 7-0 loss to No. 53 Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich.
Wisconsin (10-4 overall, 1-2 Big Ten) began the dual against Michigan State (7-9 overall, 1-2 Big Ten) by dropping its doubles point for just the third time this season.
At the No. 1 court, Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov fought hard for a win, but couldn’t hold on, falling, 8-6 to Gijs Linders and Harry Jadun.
The Spartans clinched the doubles point on the No. 3 court with Drew Lied and John Patrick Mullane’s 8-4 defeat of Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov.
With the doubles point decided, Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral’s match against Aaron Pfister and Christian Roehmer was called at 6-4.
Michigan State’s dominance continued into singles play. Playing at the No. 2 court for the first time this season, Kostanov fell to Lied, 6-4, 6-2.
Jalalov was the next to finish, dropping his match 6-4, 6-2 to Jadun on court six.
With Michigan State leading 3-0, Kokorev faced a close first set tiebreak, but ultimately fell 7-6, 6-2 to Roehmer, solidifying the Spartan victory.
At the No. 4 court, Wikberg dropped his first set, 6-1, but came back fighting against Linders, falling in the second set by a close 7-5 margin.
Wisconsin had its best chance at a win in Bertha’s match against Pfister at court one. Bertha came out strong, taking Pfister 6-4 in the first set, but Pfister wouldn’t stay behind for long, defeating Bertha 6-3, 6-3 to finish the match.
Michigan State went on to solidify the sweep with Mullane’s 7-5, 7-6 victory over Satral on court three.
Wisconsin will continue action on the road, closing out its non-conference schedule on Tuesday, March 26, against No. 45 North Carolina State at 2 p.m. in Raleigh, N.C.
MICHIGAN STATE 7 WISCONSIN 0
1) Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 8-6
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) vs. Aaron Pfister/Christian Roehmer (MSU): 6-4, unfinished
3) Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Oskar Wikberg/Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 8-4
Order of Completion: Doubles – 1, 3
1) Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) Drew Lied (MSU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
3) John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 7-5, 7-6
4) Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-1, 7-5
5) Christian Roehmer (MSU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 7-6, 6-2
6) Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 6-4, 6-2
Order of Completion: Singles – 2, 6, 5, 4, 1, 3