March 23, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – Despite taking the doubles point, No. 64 Wisconsin fell to Michigan, 6-1 on Saturday in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Saturday’s dual against Michigan (7-6 overall, 2-0 Big Ten) marked Wisconsin’s second Big Ten Conference match of the season and the first road test for the Badgers (10-3 overall, 1-1 Big Ten).
Wisconsin remained dominant in doubles play, taking its sole point of the day in the 2-1 defeat over the Wolverines.
At the No. 1 court, Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg were the first to finish, taking down Barrett Franks and Shaun Bernstein, 8-6.
Michigan didn’t stay behind for long as the No. 37 nationally ranked pairing of Evan King and Alex Buzzi defeated Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov in a close 8-6 match.
With the matches split, Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev found themselves responsible for securing the doubles point for the second week in a row. The duo did just that, defeating Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu, 8-6.
Michigan used its doubles loss as fuel to sweep the Badgers, 6-0, in singles play.
Tying up the score for Michigan was No. 15 King, who defeated Bertha 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 1 court.
Next to finish was Kostanov, who fell 6-1, 6-2 to Petrone at court three, marking Kostanov’s first singles loss of the season. Playing at No. 4, Wikberg followed, dropping his match 6-0, 7-5 to Franks.
At No. 6, Kokorev gave the Badgers a glimmer of hope, taking his second set to a tiebreak, but ultimately falling 6-3, 7-6 (3) to Buzzi and securing the win for Michigan.
The Wolverines went on to achieve the sweep in singles play with Zhu’s 7-5, 6-3 defeat of Jalalov at No. 5 singles and No. 76 nationally ranked Vlad Stefan’s 6-2, 7-6 (5) victory over Satral.
The Badgers look to get their first road win as they continue Big Ten play against Michigan State (6-8) on Sunday at noon in East Lansing, Mich.
MICHIGAN 6 WISCONSIN 1
1) No. 37 Evan King/Alex Buzzi (U-M) def. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (Wisconsin), 8-6
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (Wisconsin) def. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (U-M), 8-6
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (Wisconsin) def. Barrett Franks/Shaun Bernstein (U-M), 8-6
Order of Completion: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 15 Evan King (U-M) def. Billy Bertha (Wisconsin), 6-1, 6-1
2) No. 76 Vlad Stefan (U-M) def. Petr Satral (Wisconsin), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
3) Alex Petrone (U-M) def. Alexander Kostanov (Wisconsin), 6-1, 6-2
4) Barrett Franks (U-M) def. Oskar Wikberg (Wisconsin), 6-0, 7-5
5) Michael Zhu (U-M) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (Wisconsin), 7-5, 6-3
6) Alex Buzzi (U-M) def. Alexander Kokorev (Wisconsin), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
Order of Completion: 1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2