March 21, 2014
March 21, 2013
MADISON, Wis. -- In a rematch from a Jan. 21 meeting in Los Angeles, the No. 58 Wisconsin men’s tennis team looked to show its improvement and establish the Badgers among the Big Ten’s top half.
Instead, much like the first match-up, UW fell behind early and did not have enough to overcome the 60th-ranked Nebraska on Friday at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Six weeks after claiming a 4-1 win, the Cornhuskers again secured the doubles point on their way to a 7-0 decision.
Sophomores Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov’s fell behind Bradford Zitsch and Brandon Videtich in a back and forth battle that went unfinished, and ended with a final score of 7-6.
Senior Petr Satral and sophomore Alexander Kokorev couldn’t grab the lead at No. 2 doubles against Beau Treyz and Marc Hermann, falling 8-5.
The freshman duo of John Zordani and Elliott Sprecher were defeated by Scott Elsass and Dusty Boyer, with a final decision of 8-2.
In January, Wikberg claimed the Badgers lone win over Nebraska, defeating Marc Herrmann at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-4. On Friday, Wikberg moved up to No. 1 singles, where he was knocked off by Boyer, 6-3, 6-0.
At No. 2 singles, Satral was defeated by Tom Blackwell, with a final decision of 6-3, 6-3.
Jalalalov came up short against Hermann. The match resulted in a final score of 6-4, 6-3.
Sprecher was defeated for just the second time this season, falling 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 to Andrew Dzulynsky.
Zordani wasn’t able to claim his match against Zitsch, which ended with a final decision of 6-1, 6-0.
Junior Michael Sinha fell 7-5, 6-1 to Vasileios Stavropoulos.
Up next, the Badgers host No. 68 Iowa on Sunday at noon (CT) at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
NEBRASKA 7 WISCONSIN 0
1. Zitsch/Videtich (NU) vs. Wikberg/Jalalov (UW) 7-6, unfinished
2. Treyz/Herrmann (NU) def. Kokorev/Satral (UW) 8-5
3. Elsass/Boyer (NU) def. Sprecher/Zordani (UW) 8-2
Order of finish: (3, 2)
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Oskar Wikberg (UW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Petr Satral (UW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) 6-4, 6-3
4. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Elliott Sprecher (UW) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
5. Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. John Zordani (UW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) def. Michael Sinha (UW) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: (5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4)