March 22, 2011
IRVINE, Calif. -- In its final match of spring break, the Wisconsin men’s tennis team was not able to upset UC Irvine falling in a 5-2 match. Despite grabbing the doubles point, the Badgers could only get one other win on the day over the No. 49th-ranked Anteaters in Irvine, Calif.
Wisconsin earned the 1-0 lead after taking the doubles points with wins in the Nos. 1 and 2 slots. Ricardo Martin and Petr Satral competed in the No. 1 spot for the first time this year and grabbed the 8-6 win over the No. 39th-ranked pairing of Chris Kearney and Stephen Stege.
Wisconsin’s No. 66th-ranked duo of Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha continued their winning ways by defeating No. 76th-ranked Gould and Henderson is a close 9-7 match to give the Badgers the doubles point.
The Badgers were not able to continue the momentum on their end of the courts though as the Anteaters took five of the six singles matches for a 5-2 victory over UW.
Wisconsin’s lone singles win came from Fredrik Ask in the No. 6 slot over UC Irvine’s Stege. The Wisconsin freshman defeated Stege, 7-6, 7-5 to close out the match.
The team will have a week off before returning to action on Sunday, March 27. The Badgers will host its second Big Ten match of the year taking on Northwestern at noon at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
March 19, 2011
Tennis Match Results
Mar 19, 2011 at Irvine, Calif.
(Nellie Gail Tennis Club)
#49 UC Irvine 5, Wisconsin
1. Chris Kearney (UCI) def. Marek Michalicka (WIS) 7-5, 6-2
2. Sam Gould (UCI) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-2, 6-2
3. Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS)6-2, 6-4
4. Steven Henderson (UCI) def. Rod Carey (WIS) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
5. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-3, 7-6
6. Fredrik Ask (WIS) def. Stephen Stege (UCI) 7-6, 7-5
1. Ricardo Martin/Petr Satral (WIS) def. #39 Chris Kearney/Stephen Stege (UCI) 8-6
2. #66 Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. #76 Sam Gould/Steven Henderson (UCI) 9-7
3. Ryan Cheung/Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Fredrik Ask/Alexander Teppert (WIS) 8-5
UW Athletic Communications