March 17, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team overcame injuries to earn two, 7-0, sweeps, defeating UW-Whitewater and UIC, Saturday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
“We probably had three new guys playing but I thought that they all came out really, really well and responded to the quick lineup change,” said UW assistant coach Joe Bates. “They all got their wins and we’re happy about that.”
The Badgers not only won all their matches, but they dominated the competition without dropping a set.
Wisconsin swept doubles in both matches. Alexander Kostanov and Petr Satral led the Badgers after moving up to No. 1 doubles to fill in Billy Bertha. The pair defeated UW-Whitewater’s Andrew Bayliss and Mitch Osborne in their first match, 8-3, and Rahul Kamath/Alexander Raa of UIC, 8-3.
Kostanov also had a strong day in singles claiming a 6-0, 7-6(3) victory over UW-Whitewater’s Byron Balkin at No. 1 and a 7-6(5), 6-3 over James Li of UIC.
Things were just as easy for Satral, who won both his singles matches. His first win came against UW-Whitewater’s Andy McGlashen, 6-1, 6-1, which he followed up with a, 6-2, 6-2, win over UIC’s Maurizio Feoli 6-2, 6-2.
Rod Carey and Alex Robles were the other two Badgers to play in four matches Saturday. The duo paired up to win both of their doubles matches at No. 2 doubles. Carey won his match at No. 2 singles over Andrew Bayliss of UW-Whitewater, 6-2, 6-4 and his match at No. 3 against UIC’s Alan Reifer, 6-2, 6-1. Robles defeated Mitch Osborne of UW-Whitewater and Nate Kirk of UIC.
Freshman Jack Larsen earned three victories for the Badgers. Against UW-Whitewater, Larsen defeated Erik Scanlan 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 singles. Larsen earned his other two victories against UIC. He won his doubles match over Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer, 8-4, with partner Fredrik Ask and his single victory at No. 6 against Rahul Kamath, 6-0, 6-3.
“I think the best part was that we won every match,” said Bates. “That’s the biggest positive, no matter if it was a little bit close here or there in some matches. I think just taking the wins into this weekend with Michigan and Michigan State is what we need.”
The Badgers will have their first Big Ten home match next weekend against Michigan and Michigan State. Wisconsin faces the Wolverines at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 23 and the Spartans at noon Sunday, March 25.
Wisconsin 7 UW-Whitewater 0
1) Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov def. Andrew Bayliss/Mitch Osborne: 8-3
2) Alex Robles/Rod Carey def. Byron Balkin/Andy McGlashen: 8-3
3) Fredrik Ask/Quinton Vega def. Erik Scanlan/Kevin Friend: 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) Alexander Kostanov def. Byron Balkin: 6-0, 7-6(3)
2) Rod Carey def. Andrew Bayliss: 6-2, 6-4
3) Petr Satral def. Andy McGlashen: 6-1, 6-1
4) Alex Robles def. Mitch Osborne 6-1, 6-4
5) Jack Larsen def. Erik Scanlan: 6-3, 6-2
6) Alexander Teppert def. Brady Porter: 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 2, 4, 6, 1
Wisconsin 7 UIC 0
1) Alexander Kostanov/Petr Satral def. Rahul Kamath/Alexander Raa: 8-3
2) Alex Robles/Rod Carey def. Shepardson/Nate Kirk: 8-4
3) Jack Larsen/Fredrik Ask def. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer: 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1) Fredrik Ask def. Alexander Raa: 6-2, 6-3
2) Alexander Kostanov def. James Li: 7-6(5), 6-3
3) Rod Carey def. Alan Reifer: 6-2, 6-1
4) Petr Satral def. Maurizio Feoli: 6-2, 6-2
5) Alex Robles def. Nate Kirk: 6-1, 6-2
6) Jack Larsen def. Rahul Kamath: 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 1, 4, 2