March 16, 2011
MALIBU, Calif. -- The Wisconsin men’s tennis team (6-7, 0-1 Big Ten) wasn't able to earn its first win over a ranked team this week falling to No. 11 Pepperdine. The Waves proved to be too much for the Badgers downing UW in a 6-1 match. Freshman Rod Carey earned the lone Badger win as he improved his record to 8-3 on the season.
The Waves got off to a strong start with a 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches and took that momentum into singles earning wins in the Nos. 2, 3 and 4 spots defeating the Badger’s Billy Bertha, Ricardo Martin and Petr Satral, respectively.
With the match decided, freshman Rod Carey brought a spark for the Badgers earning their lone win of the day. Carey downed Pepperdine’s Mousheg Hovhannisyan 6-3 in the first set and took the win with a 7-5 second set win.
Despite three set matches in the Nos. 1 and 6 spots, Wisconsin wasn’t able to earn any more wins against the No. 11th-ranked Waves.
No. 49 Finn Tearney defeated Badger senior No. 72 Marek Michalicka 6-2 in the second set and 1-0 (10-3) in the third set after Michalicka took the first set 6-4.
Wisconsin will finish off their spring break run in California on Saturday taking on No. 49 UC Irvine at 2 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Mar 16, 2011 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#11 Pepperdine 6, Wisconsin 1
1. #49 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #72 Marek Michalicka (WIS) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
2. #17 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-1, 6-0
3. #66 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alfredo Moreno (PEP) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Rodney Carey (WIS) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-3, 7-5
6. Alejandro Moreno (PEP) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. #66 Billy Bertha/Marek Michalicka (WIS) 8-5
2. Sebastian Fanselow/Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Ricardo Martin/Rodney Carey (WIS) 8-4
3. Hugh Clarke/Alfredo Moreno (PEP) def. Fredrik Ask/Petr Satral (WIS) 8-3
Pepperdine 13-3; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,4,5,1,6)
UW Athletic Communications