March 11, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team earned its first win away from Madison this season on Sunday, defeating the University of Idaho (8-6) in Fresno, Calif., 4-2.
The teams did not compete in doubles because Wisconsin (6-5, 0-1) clinched the match after singles play.
Petr Satral got the Badgers off to a quick start when he defeated Alan Shin 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4 singles for his first victory away from Nielsen this season.
At No. 3 singles, Rod Carey kept the momentum in UW’s favor when he defeated Jose Bendeck, 6-4, 6-4.
The Vandals earned their first point of the match after Cristobal Ramos-Salazar defeated Alexander Kostanov, 6-2, 7-5.
UW’s No. 1, Fredrik Ask, got the Badgers back on track and clinched their third point when he defeated Abid Akbar, 6-4, 7-5. Ask is now on a team-best six-match win streak.
Freshman Andy Quirk remained unbeaten on the season when he clinched the match for Wisconsin with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-1, against Andrew Dobbs.
At No. 5 singles Quinton Vega fell to Cesar Torres 6-1, 4-6, 7-5, making the final score 4-2.
Wisconsin returns to the Nielsen Tennis Stadium next weekend to play UW-Whitewater at 12 p.m. and UIC at 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 17.
Wisconsin, 4 Idaho, 2
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
1. Fred Ask (UW) def. Abid Akbar (UI), 6-4, 7-5
2. Cristobal Ramos-Salazar (UI) def. Alex Kostanov (UW), 6-2, 7-5
3. Rod Carey (UW) def. Jose Bendeck (UI), 6-4, 6-4
4. Petr Satral (UW) def. Alan Shin (UI), 6-1, 6-3
5. Cesar Torres (UI) def. Quinton Vega (UW), 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
6. Andrew Quirk (UW) def. Andrew Dobbs (UI), 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
(4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5)