March 10, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team (5-5, 0-1) was one match away from defeating No. 14 Fresno State (10-1), but the Bulldogs prevailed with a 4-3 win at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno, Calif. It would have been the Badgers' first win away from home this season, and their first against a ranked opponent.
Fresno State swept UW in doubles. Jean-Charles Diame and Sai Kartik Nakireddi started the sweep when they defeated Alex Robles and Rod Carey, 8-4.
The Bulldogs clinched the doubles point when Zachary Leslie and David Ayoun beat Alexander Kostanov and Petr Satral at No. 2 doubles, 8-5, to take a 1-0 lead. The sweep was complete when Fredrik Ask and Billy Bertha fell to Remi Boutillier and Francis Alcantara, 8-6.
Wisconsin evened the match at 1-1 when Andy Quirk defeated Reid DeLaubenfels 6-2, 6-1 at No. 6 singles. The win moves Quirk to 3-0 on the season.
Fresno State then went on to win No. 3 and No. 4 singles to take a 3-1 lead. The other three matches went into a third set.
Wisconsin won two out of the three matches, but No. 17 Boutillier defeated Kostanov, 6-0, in the third to clinch the match for the Bulldogs.
In the other two matches, Fredrik Ask defeated No. 52 Francis Alexander for his first win over a ranked opponent at No. 2 singles, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, and Quinton Vega won his third set and the match after his opponent Leslie, defaulted with a 2-0 lead.
The Badgers play again in Fresno tomorrow against Idaho at 12 p.m. CT.
1. No. 17 Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Alexander Kostanov (UW), 6-4, 1-6, 6-0
2. Fredrik Ask (UW) def. No. 52 Francis Alcantara (FS), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Jean-Charles Diame (FS) def. Rod Carey (UW), 6-2, 6-4
4. David Ayoun (FS) def. Petr Satral (UW), 7-6(5), 6-0
5. Quinton Vega (UW) def. Zachary Leslie, 6-4, 4-6, 2-0(def.)
6. Andy Quirk (UW) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS), 6-2, 6-1
1. Boutillier/Alcantara (FS) def. Ask/Bertha (UW), 8-6
2. Leslie/Ayoun (FS) def. Kostanov/Satral (UW), 8-5
3. Diame/Nakireddi (FS) def. Robles/Carey (UW), 8-4