March 9, 2013
GB Box Score PDF WIU Box Score PDF
MADISON, Wis. – The Badgers continued their success at home, defeating Green Bay, 4-3, and Western Illinois, 6-0 in back-to-back matches on Saturday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Wisconsin (9-2) began the day by clinching its eighth doubles point of the season with a win against Green Bay (7-3). At No. 2, Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral gave the Badgers a strong start in an 8-4 victory.
After fighting to tie the match 4-4, Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg couldn’t hold on, falling to Joey Leto and Michael Tenzer, 8-5.
With the first two doubles matches split, the point came down to Billy Bertha and Alexander Kostanov at the No. 1 court. After trailing by as many as two games, Bertha and Kostanov grabbed the momentum when it mattered most and came away with the 8-6 win over Craig Cox and Erik Finkenbrink.
Kostanov carried that momentum over to singles play, defeating Leo Gomez Islinger, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 4 court. Bertha couldn’t do the same and fell to Tenzer, 6-3, 6-1.
Jalalov was the next to finish, defeating Howard Scott, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 5 court. With just one match needed to solidify the Badger win, the remaining three courts split their first sets to take it to a third set.
At No. 6, Kokorev was the first to finish his third set as he came away with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 victory to clinch the win for Wisconsin.
No. 2 Satral and No. 3 Wikberg did not fare as well. Wikberg started off strong with a first set win, but faded throughout the match and fell 6-4, 7-5 to Cox in the remaining two sets.
Satral struggled to start the match against Finkenbrink with a 6-3 first set loss, but came back to take the second set 6-1. Finkenbrink wouldn’t stay behind for long, fighting to take the third set to a 10-8 tiebreak and coming away with the match.
Following a short break, the Badgers were back on the court to face Western Illinois (7-12) in singles play. At the No. 6 court, Kokorev dominated Brandon Meeker in a 6-2, 6-2 victory to give Wisconsin its first point of the evening.
The next point for the Badgers came from Kostanov, playing at the No. 3 court for the first time this season. Kostanov improved his undefeated streak this season to 10-0 in a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Ben Yue.
At the No. 2 court, Satral was the next to finish, defeating Bradley Holt, 6-3, 6-3. Wikberg clinched the win for the Badgers at the No. 4 court, defeating Mitch Granger, 6-1, 6-4.
Wisconsin earned the sweep of Western Illinois following Jalalov’s 6-1, 6-1 victory over Max Cedarkall and Bertha’s 6-1, 6-2 win against Patrick Hammers. The teams decided to forgo doubles play, giving Wisconsin the 6-0 win.
The Badgers are back on the court Saturday, March 16 to conclude their 12-match homestand with a dual against the University of South Florida beginning at noon.
WISCONSIN 4 GREEN BAY 3
1) Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Craig Cox/Erik Finkenbrink (GB): 8-6
2) Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS) def. Howard Scott/Michael Tebon (GB): 8-4
3) Joey Leto/Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1) Michael Tenzer (GB) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-3, 6-1
2) Erik Finkenbrink (GB ) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (10-8)
3) Craig Cox (GB) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Leo Gomez Islinger (GB): 6-1, 6-1
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Howard Scott (GB): 6-4, 6-2
6) Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Rowan Isaaks (GB): 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2
WISCONSIN 6 WESTERN ILLINOIS 0
1) Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Patrick Hammers (WIU): 6-1, 6-2
2) Petr Satral (WIS) def. Bradley Holt (WIU): 6-3, 6-3
3) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Ben Yue (WIU): 6-0, 6-1
4) Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Mitch Granger (WIU): 6-1, 6-4
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Max Cedarkall (WIU): 6-1, 6-2
6) Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Brandon Meeker (WIU): 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1