March 8, 2014
Final Stats vs. Green Bay
Final Stats vs. Western Illinois
MADISON, Wis. -- TThe Wisconsin men's tennis team improved their overall record to 8-4, by sweeping a doubleheader Saturday at Nielsen, knocking off Green Bay, 4-1, and Western Illinois, 5-0.
Things did not start the way they would end as Wisconsin began the two-match event by dropping the doubles point to Green Bay.
The Badgers' No. 1 doubles team of sophomores Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov would defeat Howard Scott and Michael Tenzer, 8-3.
However senior Petr Satral and freshman Elliott Sprecher were unable to claim their match against Rowan Isaaks and Leopold Gomez Islinger, falling 8-3. Sophomore Alexander Kokorev and freshman John Zordani were unable to hold onto the lead in a back and forth battle against Michael Tebon and Joey Leto. Their match would end in tie-breakers, 8-7 (5).
Undeterred, UW would quickly rebound in singles action against Green Bay, sweeping the top four spots and clinching the 4-1 win.
At No. 1 singles, Wikberg defeated Tenzer with a final decision of 6-3, 6-1. The Badgers next win came from Jalalov, who claimed his match against Leto, with a final score of 6-2, 6-2.
At No. 2 singles, Kokorev battled through two set tie-breakers to defeat Gomez Islinger, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (3). Satral came back after falling in the second set to defeat Howard Scott and seal the Badgers victory, with a final score of 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.
Head Coach Greg Van Emburgh was pleased with how Wisconsin responded after a slow start.
"I think that we did a good job today, after losing the doubles point," Van Emburgh said. "I think we rebounded nicely and the guys came out really determined and took care of business like we talked about after the doubles."
During the second match of the doubleheader, Wisconsin picked up an efficient sweep over Western Illinois.
With the Leathernecks playing down a man, the two teams elected to play the singles matches first and doubles action only if necessary.
The Badgers would not need it as they would surrender just four total points in five matches against Western Illinois.
Sprecher's 6-0, 6-0 victory over Brandon Meeker set the tone for the rest of the afternoon as the Badgers would take all five singles matches.
Junior Michael Sinha tallied the next UW win over his opponent, Brett Furamnski with another sweep, finishing him off 6-0, 6-0.
Wikberg came back from an early first set deficit, to throttle Mitch Granger, 6-2, 6-0. Zordani sealed the Badger win, claiming his match over Chris Bunch, 6-0, 6-1.
Moments later, Jalalov completed a 6-0, 6-1 win over Max Cederkall at No. 2 singles to round out Wisconsin's perfect match.
"Looking ahead, now we want to have a good week of practice this week to get ready to go down to Florida," Van Emburgh added. "We'll be able to get a couple of good days of outdoor practice to prepare us for two really good teams in Miami and South Florida."
The Badgers return to action in Florida on March 17 against Miami and March 19 against No. 53 South Florida.
WISCONSIN 4 GREEN BAY 1
1. Wikberg/Jalalov (WIS) def. Scott/Tenzer (GB): 8-3
2. Tebon/Leto (GB) def. Kokorev/Zordani (WIS): 8-7 (5)
3. Isaaks/Gomez Islinger (GB) def. Satral/Sprecher (WIS): 8-3
Order of Finish: (3, 1, 2)
1. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Michael Tenzer (GB): 6-3, 6-1
2. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Leopold Gomez Islinger (GB): 7-6 (1), 7-6 (3)
3. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Howard Scott (GB): 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Joey Leto (GB): 6-2, 6-2
5. Elliott Sprecher (WIS) v. Rowan Isaaks (GB): 4-6, 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
6. John Zordani (WIS) v. Jorge Gonzalez Soler (GB): 5-7, 4-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: (1, 4, 2, 3)
WISCONSIN 5 WESTERN ILLINOIS 0
1. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Mitch Granger (WIU): 6-2, 6-0
2. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Max Cederkall (WIU): 6-0, 6-1
3. Elliott Sprecher (WIS) def. Brandon Meeker (WIU): 6-0, 6-0
4. John Zordani (WIS) def. Chris Bunch (WIU): 6-0, 6-1
5. Michael Sinha (WIS) def. Brett Furamnski (WIU): 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: (3, 5, 1, 4, 2)